UWindsor Social Media Guidelines
June 20, 2017
The Main Social Media Channels
Supported UWindsor social media channels include:
These are the only channels currently supported by the Social Media Coordinator at the the Office of Public Affairs and Communications (PAC).
UWindsor's Snapchat channel is run by the Social Coordinator at (PAC). The channel is often given to a student for a day so that they can post their own content. Connect with Tim Brunet (tbrunet@Uwindsor.ca for more information about a Snapchat take over.
Use of the University of Windsor's Brand
UWindsor faculty, staff, and students are not allowed to represent their personal views as representing those of the University of Windsor unless they have previous approval from the Office of Public Affairs. The UWindsor logo and brand is a protected trademark and its use and representation are protected by law. Refer to uwindsor.ca/pac for more information regarding the logo, such as use, style, typesetting, colour, and formatting.
All University accounts should have a designated faculty and/or staff member as the head administrator of the account. This maintains control of the account whenever there is student turnover. When a SM administrator leaves your department, be sure to have the password changed and updated for the in coming administrator.
Starting a New Social Media Account?
The Social Media coordinator can assist you with
- selecting an appropriate channel name;
- deciding whether or not you have the resources to maintain a channel;
- creating guidelines for moderating your channels;
- designing the necessary graphics for your channel.
UWindsor community members can find assistance for social media through
- workshops offered by the Social Media Coordinator (published on the daily news and in Social Media);
- Lynda.com (log in using the organizational login and your uwinID);
- connecting directly with the Social Media Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Social Media Coordinator is able to assist with online advertising through:
- Google Adwords
- Facebook advertising
- Snapchat filters.
Departments need to make their own purchases using their own accounts and payment systems.
Here are a few purchases you might want to consider if you are getting serious about Social Media
- SD Card Reader This will enable you to load the pictures from your SD card or you can buy a cable that will go directly to your camera.
- An office designated mobile device (tablet, cell phone, lapel mic, and digital camera).
- You can book an appointment with the Social Media Coordinator for a consultation of your SM hardware needs.
Tips for getting your pictures and videos on UWindsor channels!
- Post content that is relevant to the University of Windsor's strategic priorities.
- Use #uwindsor if you want us to consider sharing your picture.
- Do not use our logo unless you have permission.
- Videos must be captioned, and pictures must have alternate text to comply with the Accessibility Ontario Disabilities Act.
- Get permission from those who are captured in videos and photos before posting online.
- Choose your brand ambassadors wisely.