Know your flowers? With the campus in full summer bloom, DailyNews is offering readers a chance to prove their botanical bona fides with a quiz about some of the plants now in blossom.
Up for grabs is a prize package donated by the Campus Bookstore combining a framed art print of Lancer house rules and an insulated “chubby” mug:
- measuring 22 inches high by six wide, the poster retails for $49.95 and lists some helpful hints for Lancers;
- the mug boasts an extra-wide design to prevent tipping, double-wall stainless steel construction, and the UWindsor logo, with a value of $12.95.
To enter the contest, submit your response identifying the scientific names for some flowers common to the campus. The winner will be selected at random from all correct responses received by 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 30.
- From what genus do we get roses?
- What is the scientific name of the black-eyed Susan?
a) Rudbeckia californica
b) Rudbeckia fulgida
c) Rudbeckia hirta
d) Rudbeckia laciniata
- What is the scientific name designating yarrow?
a) Achillea aegyptiaca
b) Achillea millefolium
c) Achillea nobilis
d) Eriophyllum confertiflorum
Contest is open to all readers of the DailyNews. Send an e-mail with your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org. One entry per contestant, please. Note: the decision of the judge in determining the most correct response is inviolable.
—quiz and flower photos by Dana Roe