Equity Consideration Form
The Faculty of Education affirms its principle and policy of fairness and equity for individuals who are qualified for the teaching profession and who reflect the ethno‑cultural and social diversity of the population of students in Ontario’s schools. In pursuit of this principle and policy, we seek to identify candidates representing different backgrounds, whose perspectives will diversify and enrich the teaching and learning community. Applications are encouraged from groups that are traditionally under‑represented in the teaching profession.
The resume should provide a clear and concise overview of your work experience, including employer, start and end dates, and a brief description of the position. A record of secondary and postsecondary education should be provided, including start and end dates, degrees, diplomas, certificates and/or trade licences. It is important that the resume reflect experience in the Broad-Based Technological Education subject area to which application is being made.
Official secondary and postsecondary academic transcripts
Official secondary and postsecondary academic transcripts/diploma, bearing the original seal and/or signature of the institution, must be sent directly by the issuing institution. Photocopies and student copies are not acceptable.
Photocopies of trade licences, if applicable
The teaching of some special curriculm components within the Broad-Based Technological Education areas requires that the teacher hold a valid trade licence, for example, Automotive, Electrical, Cosmetology, etc.
A Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Certificate of Qualification (C of Q) accompanied by a Certificate of Apprenticeship (C of A) and the details of the examination showing at least 70% (B-) standing. The diploma size version of the C of Q is required in order to provide evidence that you have satisfied this requirement.Your C of Q must be valid at the time that you are applying for admission to the University of Windsor. Note: If your work experience is in a trade that requires a C of Q, then you must submit the C of Q, details of exam results and your C of A. No other proof of competence can be accepted.
Letters confirming wage-earning experience
A minimum of 5 years of full-time wage-earning experience is required, including business or industrial experience where the candidate used skills and knowledge in the area of technological education selected for his or her optional courses.
In exceptional cases, where it is impossible to provide original and appropriate documentation, an original sworn statement (by the applicant), signed by a commissioner of oaths that indicates the reason(s) why this information is not available, is acceptable. This sworn statement should indicate the duration of employment, start and end dates, and the nature of employment (providing specific statement of the skills used in the position). The support, the duration and place of employment noted in the notorized statement, copies of T4 tax forms or a statement from an accountant confirming income should accompany the statement.
Self-employed applicants or applicants employed in a family business are required to submit an original sworn statement, signed by a commissioner of oaths, that indicates the applicant was self-employed or employed in a family business. The statement should detail the duration of employment, the start and end dates, and the nature of duties (providing specific statements of the skills used in the position). In addition, to validate the applicant’s sworn statement, the following supporting documentation must be submitted:
- A copy of business licence or registration supporting the duration of employment noted in the sworn statement.
- Copies of income tax assessments (which indicate self-employment) supporting the duration of employment noted in the sworn statement, or a statement from an accountant, confirming income, or an annual report.
- At least 1 letter (representing the period of self-employment) from a major supplier attesting to materials purchased and/or a client attesting to the work completed. It is important that these documents reflect work experience in the Broad-Based Technological Education subject area to which application has been made.
- Please visit the Ontario College of Teachers website regarding wage-earning work experience requirements .
If you are currently or expecting to be teaching on a Letter of Permission from a school board in the Fall/Winter following Summer I, we require a letter on school or board letterhead confirming your full-time position within the Broad-Based Technology subject area for which you are seeking qualifications. The letter must also list the course codes and course names that comprise the full-time teaching position.This letter should be written by the school Principal or the Human Resources employee at the board level.
For all applicants:
Following successful completion of Summer I and ten (10 ) days of practice teaching, you will be recommended to the Ontario College of Teachers for a Transitional Certificate of Qualification, which allows teacher candidates who find employment within a school board to teach full-time in the Fall/Winter following Summer I.
If you are not teaching on a Letter of Permission as described above, you are required to complete a minimum 80-day practicum placement in your Broad-Based Technological area between Summer I and Summer II. Failure to complete a successful 80-day minimum practicum will result in suspension to Summer II of the program.
Please note: The 80-day minimum practicum will be scheduled into blocks of time during the secondary school year. These placements will take place during the months of September through June at high schools and arranged solely through the Faculty of Education. Every effort will be made to place you in schools in your home district. You will be required to be in attendance full-time in the school during your practicum placements.
The following are required of all accepted applicants:
- Completed application form with the documents noted on form
- Birth certificate and Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.)
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency as defined by the Immigration Act (Canada), or of eligibility for employment in Canada (if the Ontario Certification of Qualification or a Temporary Letter of Standing is to be awarded)
- Legal proof of change of name must be submitted where the name being used differs from that shown on the birth certificate
- Prior to July 1st, the candidate must present proof of a tuberculin test as required by the Ontario Ministry of Health.
- A current official police record check, which must be valid during the placement period of September through June following Summer I
- After acceptance, students are required to submit to the Faculty a recent photograph (passport-size) for identification purposes within the Faculty of Education.
- Candidates are advised that they are responsible for their own transportation to and from field placements.