Upon successful completion of the IEC program you will be qualified to apply to IB for a Certificate in Teaching and Learning.
As an IB educator certificate holder, you receive the following benefits:
- A valued credential: the IB certificate in teaching and learning confirm to prospective employers in the international education community that you have a deep understanding of IB programmes
- A competitive advantage: you are more desirable to prospective employers because hiring teachers with this credential saves them thousands of dollars on mandatory introductory IB training of new staff
- Access to the rich resources of the IB community: if you register for an IB educator certificate, you’ll receive access to the Online Curriculum Centre (OCC) that contains the latest developments in the IB programmes and online resources. The OCC also connects you to a community of IB practitioners around the world
- A one-year subscription to IB World: the IB’s official magazine, published twice a year, will keep you informed of news and stories happening within the ever‐widening IB community
- Opportunities for collaborating with IB educators at regional conferences and other events
Students must meet the following requirements:
1) Bachelor’s degree, AND one of the following:
2A) Have completed or are currently completing a recognized teaching qualification from any jurisdiction in the world. OR
2B) A minimum of three years of teaching experience, confirmed by a letter(s) from your employer(s).
All courses are online.
Students will take 5 classes:
- 000- Curriculum Processes - $675.00
- 001- Teaching and Learning - $675.00
- 002- Assessment and Evaluation - $675.00
- 003- Professional Learning - $675.00
- 005- Professional Learning Community. Students will be assigned a faculty advisor and will be responsible for creating an e-portfolio of their professional growth. - $300.00
The total cost of the programme is $3,000.00 (Canadian Funds). You do not need to pay for all courses up-front. Payment is due upon registration per course.
If you intend to study in the DP programme, you must choose from the following specializations:
- Studies in Language and Literature
- Language Acquisition
- Individuals and Society
- The Arts
Your teaching experience should have been gained in the corresponding IB age domain and subject area. You should have at least 10 half credits in the specialization you wish to choose.
To be admitted to the program in the Diploma Programme (DP) stream, we require a copy of your undergraduate transcripts confirming 10 half credits in your chosen specialization.
The following sequence of courses should followed:
- 001 Curriculum Processes
- 000 Teaching and Learning
- 002 Assessment and Evaluation
- 003 Professional Learning
- 005 Professional Learning Community (PLC)
IEC 000 or IEC 001 serves as a prerequisite before taking IEC 002 or IEC 003.
Students may take IEC 002 or IEC 003 only if they have already completed one of the prerequisite courses (IEC 001 or IEC 000).
We aim to offer all courses during each of our 3 semesters. For available courses, please see the current semester's schedule here: International Educator Certificate for IB Qualification.
Course Sequencing Options:
The IEC for IB program is designed to be flexible for student teachers as well as experienced educators.
Below are two sample paths students may wish to take. This list is by no means exhaustive.
We are happy to work with students to develop a study plan that best fits their needs.
Semester 1 – IEC 000, IEC 001
Semester 2 – IEC 002, IEC 003, IEC 005
Semester 1 - IEC 001
Semester 2 - IEC 000
Semester 3 - IEC 002
Semester 4 - IEC 003
Semester 5 - IEC 005
After examining your qualifications, we will work with the prospective student to choose the correct stream: Primary Years, Middle Years, or Diploma Programme.
Diploma Programme students will have to demonstrate competency (a minimum of 10 half credits in the subject area, as determined by the Program Coordinator) in one of the following areas:
- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The Arts
Yes, the IB certificate in teaching and learning is programme specific. We have designed our program so that you will focus your studies on only one of the IB’s three programmes:
- Primary Years Programme (PYP)
- Middle Years Programme (MYP)
- Diploma Programme (DP)
When you begin our program of study, you will complete an enrolment form, which will be provided by our institution.
You will then need to email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once IB receives your form and confirms with your institution that you are enroled, they will create an OCC account for you.
No, in order to receive the IB educator certificate you must register for the certificate.
When you finish our program of study, you will complete a registration form provided by the University of Windsor and submit the form to email@example.com.
IB will confirm with us that you have successfully met the requirements for the IB educator certificates, and will then send instructions to pay the registration fee.
We will provide you with more details as you near completion of our program.
You are academically and financially responsible for your course(s) once you register, unless you withdraw officially by the deadlines listed below. No refunds will be issued after the withdrawal early deadlines.
We understand that there are situations that may arise that require special accommodations. Therefore, prior to choosing to withdraw, contact the Faculty of Education to discuss your situation. However, the $50.00 administration fee will be withheld.
Withdrawal within 7 calendar days of the course start date (refund minus admin fee). After 7 calendar days, we can no longer offer a refund.
Withdrawal- within 14 calendar days of the course start date (refund minus admin fee). After 14 calendar days, we can no longer offer a refund.
If you withdraw after the Withdrawal deadline, or if you do not complete the coursework, you will receive a failing grade & no refund.
NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNTS - (Before OR after the course starts): $50.00 Administration Fee
PLEASE NOTE: No refunds will be issued after the withdrawal deadlines.
To withdraw from a course or inquire about a refund, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.