"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
Academic service-learning is a “course-based, credit-bearing educational experience. It is geared toward teacher candidates who wish to go the extra ‘MILE’ in service to the community.
MILE Urban Education provides teacher candidates opportunities to:
- participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs;
- reflect on the service activity;
- practice pedagogical skills and strategies in a non-judgemental and supportive context;
- gain a broader understanding of educational and social issues; and
- gain an enhanced sense of civic responsibility.
An ethic of responsibility to others is the guiding principle in this service learning course. It provides teacher candidates with opportunities for social entrepreneurship and leadership development in service to our local communities.
Reflection and reciprocity are integral aspects of this course. Purposeful and critical reflection is at the core of enhancing the learning experience for each candidate. Reciprocity is important because it encourages those providing service and those being served to learn with and from each other.
The MILE Urban Education service learning course will:
- enable teacher candidates (TCs) to deepen their knowledge about societal needs;
- support TCs in developing advocacy and leadership roles;
- provide networking opportunities;
- enhance TCs critical awareness of societal issues and challenges; and
- facilitate TCs engagement in responsive and respectful practices through service initiatives.
- Reach out and give back to the local community;
- Make use of skills and knowledge and apply them in real-life situations through creativity and initiatives;
- Get engaged and learn more about the social issues and challenges;
- Receive academic credit; and
- Network with different organizations and seek employment opportunities beyond the traditional K-12 field of education.
A Sample of Our Partnering Organizations
- Game On; Big Brothers Big Sisters of Windsor Essex
- Drouillard Place
- On Track to Success- United Way
- Social Justice Theatre Project
- Scouts Canada
- Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County
- The Windsor Essex County Humane Society
- The Canadian Historical Aircraft Museum
We continue to expand this list as the network of community organizations widens in response to the need for service in our community.
The highest reward for a person’s toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.