"Speech & debate sharpen students' ability to think and listen critically and to articulate their thoughts confidently and persuasively."
-Suzanne, DFW Speech & Debate
iSpeak competitions provide you with the opportunity to showcase your presentation skills.
iSpeak is open to University of Windsor and English Language Improvement (ELIP) level 3 students.
Which style is for you?
Turn Coat (Self-debate) - Demonstrate your ability to present and transition between ideas in favour of and against a given topic.
- Participants receive a topic on the spot
- 5 minute preparation time
- 1 minute to present ideas in favour; 1 minute to present ideas against
Elocution - Demonstrate your ability to critically present arguments about a social issue.
- Participants receive a topic 5 days prior to competition date
- 5 minutes total speaking time
Discourse - This category combines both Turn Coat and Elocution components and adds another requirement of successfully answering questions from the panel of judges.
- Round 1: Participants recieve a topic on the spot (Turn Coat)
- A certain number of participants qualify for Round 2 (qualification numbers based on total number of participants)
- Round 2: Participants receive a social issue (Elocution) (topic is given on the spot; 5 minute preparation time; 3 minutes total speaking time)
- Round 3: Participants respond to judges' questions based on Elocution presentation
iSpeak will return in Fall 2018.
Tahir Chowdhry (1st place), Soham Mitra (2nd place) & Gopal Kotwal (3rd place)