Frequently Asked Questions

I am being charged for a drug and dental plan, but I already have coverage through my parents (or another source), so don't need this coverage. Do I still need to pay for it?

The UWSA and OPUS drug and dental plan, and GSS health benefits plan are mandatory fees that must be paid. Because the drug, dental and health benefit plans are implemented and managed by the UWSA, OPUS & GSS, concerns regarding coverage must be directed to them. If you have alternate coverage and would like to opt out contact:

  • UWSA Office: (519) 971-3600 – Floor 2: CAW Student Centre. The opt-out process is on the UWSA website.
  • OPUS Office: (519) 971-3603 – Room 172: CAW Student Centre.  The opt-out process is on the OPUS website.
  • GSS Office: (519) 253-3000 ext. 3915 – Education Building – The opt-out process is on the GSS website.

What happens if I don’t pay my fees?

Interest is added to your account everyday fees are unpaid at an annual rate of 14%. Your account will be subject to sanctions and you will not be permitted to register in future semesters. Academic records (transcript, T2202A form) will be withheld until the debt is fully paid and your name may be placed with our collection agency after a specified time period.

Is there any discount for seniors?

We offer free tuition and incidental fees for students 65 and over, except for professional programs (contact Student Accounts Office for programs).  *Applies to Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada only*

What happens if I register but never attend or I stop going to class?

You are responsible for all fees (including interest) unless you formally withdraw through UWinsite Student or the Registrar’s Office.

I don’t have the money now, but I will, by the end of the semester

While your account is still subject to interest charges, contact the Student Accounts Office to arrange a payment schedule. As long as your payments are consistent, we will not initiate external collection action.

How is daily interest calculated?

For every day your account remains unpaid after the deadline, interest at the annual rate of 14% will be calculated. Interest will be tallied daily and added to your balance owing at the beginning of the month. Even if you pay your balance before interest is applied, you are responsible for interest calculated for the time period before the payment.  Check your account at the start of the month to see if you owe interest. Interest is approx. $0.04 per hundred dollars owing per day.

Is there any way I can make money while at school? 

  • Contact the Awards Office to see if you are eligible to apply for assistance. 
  • Contact Human Resources to determine if there are part-time positions for students.
  • Contact the Office for Experiential Learning for other opportunities.

What does a negative balance on my account mean?

A negative balance indicates you have a credit on your account. You may leave this credit on for future charges or may request a refund through UWinsite Student. Please note during the beginning of each semester, there is a 4 to 5 week waiting period to receive your refund. If you want the refund mailed, we will mail it to your address on UWinsite Student, otherwise, the cheque will be available for pickup in the Student Accounts Office. If you are picking up your cheque, you must bring photo ID. If your account has a credit balance as a result of a scholarship, award or bursary, cheques will automatically be issued.

How do I get a receipt for payment?

If you paid by cash, cheque, money order, traveler’s cheque, debit, web, telephone, or at a bank, you may email to request a receipt for your tuition deposit or tuition payment.

If you made your payment by personal cheque, your canceled cheque is your receipt. If you require something more official, you must wait 30 days (45 days for cheques drawn on a foreign bank) before emailing If you require a receipt earlier, provide a copy of the front and back of the canceled cheque.

What happens if my cheque is returned by the bank?

If your cheque is returned, you are responsible for replacing the payment with cash, debit or certified cheque and will be charged a $25 returned cheque charge.  You will lose chequing privileges with the University for two years. If the cheque has been returned due to an error made by the bank, you must provide a letter from the bank accepting responsibility.

I need to change my address. How do I do that?

Students can update their address on UWinsite Student, go to the Registrar's Office or go to the Student Accounts Office (with photo ID) and request an address change. We cannot accept phone calls or e-mail requests for address changes.