The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program helps Canada’s institutions attract highly qualified doctoral students. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related fields.
Both Canadian and international students are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier Scholarship, which is valued at $50,000 per year for up to three years.
For 2019-20, the University of Windsor may submit the following number of nomination:
- Up to three nominations to SSHRC
- Up to two nominations to NSERC
- One nomination to CIHR
- To be considered for a Vanier Scholarship, a student must be nominated by a Canadian university. Vanier Scholarships must be held by the student at the university that nominated them. The scholarships are not transferable: they may not be taken to another university.
- Applicants do not have to be registered as doctoral students at the time of application, but if they are not they must have applied for admission to a PhD program at UWindsor by the departmental nomination deadline (Wednesday, September 18, 2019).
- Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents, and international students are all eligible for Vanier Scholarships.
- Students who have held or are currently holding Tri-Agency scholarship funding for their doctoral program are not eligible to apply.
Please see the Vanier Scholarship website for complete eligibility criteria: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
Nominations are invited using the following process:
Student Application Deadline: Monday, September 9, 2019 by 11:59 p.m. (EST)
Current and prospective students will complete their Vanier application using ResearchNet, the online application system, by Monday, September 9, 2019 by 11:59 p.m. (EST).
As required by the Vanier program applicants must do the following by the deadline noted above:
1. notify the chosen graduate program that they intend to apply for the Vanier Scholarship
2. be currently registered in, or have applied to, a PhD program at the University of Windsor
3. provide official transcripts for all post-secondary studies showing the most recent grades. Current students may supply UWindsor transcripts generated by UWinsite Student.
- transcripts are to be submitted to the applicant's prospective graduate program, not the Faculty of Graduate Studies
- the graduate program may have copies of the applicant's official transcripts on file already; if so, the applicant must confirm with the graduate program which transcripts the program has and is willing to provide to support the Vanier application, and which official transcripts the applicant must provide to the graduate program
4. request four separate letters of support, as follows:
- two letters from referees assessing the applicant's academic excellence, research potential and demonstrated and potential leadership ability. These are submitted electronically through ResearchNet by the referee;
- two Leadership Reference letters are to be provided to the applicant, who uploads the letters to his or her electronic application file. Faculty members may provide this letter, as long as they know the applicant in a non-academic capacity and are addressing leadership in a non-academic environment. It is recommended that applicants request the Leadership Reference Letters from an author that has not provided an assessment of the nomination.
- applicants should provide potential referees with the Vanier selection criteria guidelines
5. submit a completed Vanier application via ResearchNet by the deadline of Monday, September 9, 2019 by 11:59 p.m. (EST).
Graduate Program Nomination Deadline: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at noon.
Graduate programs are required to review and rank their applicants and submit one nomination per agency to the Faculty of Graduate Studies by Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at noon.
Nominations documents are to be e-mailed in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Faculty of Graduate Studies will provide electronic copies of applications submitted by current and prospective students to the graduate programs as soon as possible after the student application deadline (September 9).
- Transcripts for applicants are to be collected by graduate programs. Up-to-date, official transcripts are required for all post-secondary studies.
- Note: Windsor students may provide UWindsor transcripts generated through UWInsite Student.
- Programs are to review their applications for eligibility and completeness.
A complete nomination package will consist of the following:
1. Nomination Letter to be completed by the graduate program and signed by the Department Head: Format: PDF file
Please read the guidelines for the nominating letter at: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/information_for_institutions-information_pour_etablissements.html
If the nominee is a current UWindsor student, the Department Head is required to provide justification for the lack of mobility and an explanation as to why it is in the candidate’s best interest to stay at Windsor. This will include further elaboration on the appropriateness of the supervisor in terms of resources, funding, publications, their research and training environment. Examples may include (but not limited to) funding, facilities/resources and personnel that will be available to support the candidate as they carry out their proposed research and develop their leadership potential
2. A complete set of copies of official transcripts (both sides scanned, arranged in order from most recent to oldest) for each nominated application.
Format: one PDF file
E-mail these two documents to: email@example.com
Note: The Graduate Awards Committee will review the completed nominations and may request revisions to enhance the competitiveness of the applications.