- Our MSc program is intended for students seeking training in the biological sciences beyond the BSc degree.
- Emphasis is on research, resulting in presentation and defense of a thesis. Master’s students take two or more courses and deliver two departmental seminars. Outstanding students enrolled in the MSc program may transfer directly into the PhD program.
- Our PhD program offers opportunities for advanced independent research and study, culminating in presentation and defense of a dissertation.
- The PhD degree is normally completed in three to five years (a two-year minimum applies if students already hold a recognized MSc degree).
- During this time, students take a minimum of three courses and present their departmental seminars.
Our faculty are outstanding biologists with international reputations as excellent researchers. Our graduates have achieved success at all levels of academia, industry, and government, and have also used their education as a springboard to success in professional programs including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, and physical therapy. Sample areas of research interest can be found below:
- Aquatic ecology
- Developmental genetics
- Bioinformatics and systems biology
- Avian behaivioural ecology
- Evolutionary biology
- Exotoxicology modeling
- Cell cycle regulation
- Stem cell and cancer cell biology
- Predictive ecology
- Olfactory system in fishes
Program Specific Admission Requirements
Deadline for Fall: July 1
Deadline for Winter: November 1
Deadline for May: March 1
Minimum TOEFL: IBT- 83
Minimum IELTS: 6.5
Minimum Pearson: 65
Applicants are required to complete a Research Interest Form.