For students registered in a Master’s thesis or a doctoral dissertation, a thesis committee must be approved prior to the second term of registration in the thesis or dissertation.
The Master’s/Doctoral Committee is requested by the student using the Master's or Doctoral committee form (available from the "Student Forms" webpage) and forwarded for approval to Graduate Studies through the UWinsite Student system. Note: for Major Research Papers the Committee is approved by the department only.
At the same time the student signs a "Non-Exclusive License to the University of Windsor" and submits the license to his department.
The supervisor must have graduate faculty status and the majority of the committee members must hold graduate faculty status. In the case of co-supervision one of the co-supervisors must have graduate faculty status.
- For specific requirements regarding graduate faculty designation for faculty members & eligibility to serve on Master's and Doctoral Committees refer to the Graduate Faculty Designation webpage.
The Doctoral committee will consist of:
- A research advisor from the program, who is a member of graduate faculty
- Two other faculty members in the program
- One faculty member from another program at the University of Windsor.
- Additional members may be added with the approval of the program coordinator and the Executive Committee of the Faculty Council of Graduate Studies.
- For the final oral defense of the dissertation the committee will be supplemented by an independent external examiner.
The Master's thesis committee will include as a minimum:
- The chief advisor from the program, who is a member of graduate faculty
- Two other University of Windsor faculty members, one of whom shall belong to a program other than the one in which the student is obtaining the degree.
- Additional members may be added with the approval of the program coordinator and the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
The Master's Major Paper/Project committee will include:
- A supervisor, who is a member of graduate faculty.
- One other program faculty member.
- Additional members may be added with the approval of the program coordinator.