Ranked SSHRC doctoral applications from departments are due in the Graduate Studies office on or before Thursday, November 2, 2017. This means each department should set their own (earlier) deadline for students to submit their completed applications to their department.
For 2018-19 the University of Windsor may forward 14 doctoral applications to SSHRC for further adjudication. There will be one competition for both awards:
Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships ($35,000 per year for 3 years) and
SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships ($20,000 per year, for 1-4 years)
To be eligible, students must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- be applying for support to pursue their first PhD (or equivalent);
- be pursuing doctoral studies in the social sciences or humanities;
- not have already received a scholarship or fellowship from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR to undertake or complete a doctoral degree or combined MA/PhD; and,
- not be applying for NSERC or CIHR scholarships.
Applicants are evaluated solely on academic merit, measured by:
- past academic results, as demonstrated by transcripts, awards and distinctions;
- the program of study and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge;
- relevant professional and academic experience, including research training, as demonstrated by conference presentations and scholarly publications;
- two written evaluations from referees; and the departmental appraisal (for those registered at Canadian universities).
Note that, unlike the Master's scholarships, there is no weight assigned to any of these criteria, nor is there a requirement of a minimum GPA (but the GPA will be taken into consideration by the committee).
Instructions for students
- Complete the SSHRC doctoral scholarship application on-line. Make sure the application is complete by clicking on the "Verify" button.
- Print off a copy of the application and all attachments and submit it to your department by the department's deadline
- Provide official and up-to-date copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Current UWindsor students must provide an official transcript that shows their Fall 2017 registration (even although there will be no grades recorded).
- Referees must submit their references to your department by the department's deadline
Instructions for departments
- Submit hard copies of the ranked applications to the Graduate Studies office by Thursday, November 2, 2017
- Provide an overall ranking of all applications from your department (no special form for this - a cover memo is sufficient). Rank Master's and PhD students together
- Open all envelopes and remove staples from the applications before submitting them to us
- Each application should include a checklist page; this is printed out when the student completes the application on-line
- If the student's application has "Please Verify" on the front page, some information is missing. The student needs to review the application on-line for the missing information
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org