Applications for the Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master's (CGS-M) competition for CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC are completed online. The following is a brief overview of the main steps in the electronic application process.
- To apply for the CGS M scholarships, all applicants must complete and submit an application using the Research Portal. Although this is housed on NSERC's website it applies to CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC CGS M applications.
- Applicants must also separately create a Canadian Common CV which will be uploaded into their scholarship application in the Research Portal
- Applicants may select up to five universities where they wish to hold the award. Applicants may select universities on the application where:
- they are currently enrolled in an eligible program of study and wish to pursue their studies; or
- they intend to apply for full-time admission to an eligible program of study if not currently enrolled at a university of their choice
- note that these awards are not portable—students must hold it at a university that has offered the scholarship
Deadline for online submission of the student's application is December 1, 2017
After this deadline has passed Graduate Studies will forward student applications to departments for review and ranking
Deadline for departments to send their rankings to Graduate Studies is noon on Friday, January 19, 2018.
In order to be considered for a CGS M at Windsor, scholarship applicants must either be currently enrolled in their graduate program or have applied for admission to that program, by March 15, 2018.
1. Students create an account and complete the scholarship application on the Research Portal
2. Students create a Canadian Common CV which is then uploaded to the scholarship application
3. Official copies (not SIS printouts) of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts are uploaded by the student. Transcripts must be up-to-date and include Fall 2017 for current students, even if there are no grades in that term.
4. Students select two referees and provide each referee's contact information as part of the application process
5. Referees create an account on the Research Portal and complete and submit the forms online
6. Once all of the required documentation has been supplied as part of the online application students "submit" their application electronically so that it is available for review online
7. After the application deadline of December 1, 2017, Graduate Studies will send the students' applications to the departments for review
8. Departments submit a ranking of their applications to the Graduate Studies Office by noon on Friday, January 19, 2018.
9. Decisions are announced on April 1, 2018
Canadian Common CV instructions for students
- Once you are logged in, choose the "CV" tab and click on "Funding"
- Under Funding Source, select "CGS-Master's"
- Under "CV Type", select "CGS-Master's"
- You will then complete each section as applicable
- Once all the sections are completed you may preview it prior to submitting it. Click on "I agree" to submit
- Once it has been submitted you will be given a confirmation code
- You may make changes to your CCV as you require. Each time you revise your CCV a new version will be saved and a new confirmation code given
- Once you are ready to upload your CCV to your application, click on the "History" tab to see all the saved versions
- Click on the XML icon and save that file to your computer
- Go into your application on the Research Portal and click on the "Attach" button in the section called "Canadian Common CVs Attached"
- Give your CCV a title (your choice) and click on the "select" button to choose your CCV file
- Click "Upload" and your CCV will now be attached to your application
- Click on "Back to Application Overview" to return to your application
Information for Referees
When a student selects you as a referee for their CGS M application you will receive an e-mail with an invitation to participate and instructions for creating an account on the Research Portal
The e-mail will also contain a link that you will use to access the "Reference Assessment Form" for the student
After you have created an account on the Research Portal, go to the invitation e-mail and click on the link ("Step 2" in the e-mail), or paste the link into your browser
Accept the invitation
Once you accept you will be able to access the Reference Assessment Form by clicking on the "Application" link and then the "Edit" button
After you complete the form, click on the "Save and Validate" button to submit the reference
For questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org