Nominations are invited from doctoral programs for the 2018 Canadian Association of Graduate Studies/Pro-Quest-University Microfilms International (UMI) Distinguished Dissertation Awards.
The CAGS/UMI Distinguished Dissertation Awards recognize Canadian doctoral dissertations that make unusually significant and original contributions to their academic field. They were established in 1994 and are presented annually. There are two awards: one for engineering, medical sciences and natural sciences; and one for fine arts, humanities and social sciences.
The Awards are granted by the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS) and are sponsored by Pro-Quest UMI (University Microfilms International). They include a $1,500 prize, a Citation Certificate, and travel expenses of up to $1,500 to attend the 2018 CAGS Annual Conference in Winnipeg in Fall 2018.
a) A dissertation in any discipline in engineering, medical sciences and natural sciences completed and accepted by the Faculty of Graduate Studies between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
b) A dissertation in any discipline in the fine arts, humanities, and social sciences completed and accepted by the Faculty of Graduate Studies between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
Departments are invited to submit one (1) nomination for each of these awards. Please include the following information with the nomination:
1. The name of the nominee's research supervisor;
2. The name and affiliation of the external examiner;
3. The date of the defense and the date of final acceptance of the dissertation by the Faculty of Graduate Studies (i.e., the date of deposit of the dissertation in our office);
4. A letter from the student's supervisor or program director describing the reasons for the nomination, and why the dissertation constitutes a significant piece of original work;
5. A copy of the external examiner's report;
6. An abstract of the dissertation, not exceeding 350 words, written by the candidate in non-technical language;
7. An up-to-date c.v. of the nominee.
- Further information is available on the CAGS website at: http://www.cags.ca/cagsumi.php
Nomination packages (including all required documentation) are to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Monday, March 12, 2018.