- The regulations for graduate faculty designation are outlined in the Senate Policy G4 for Graduate Faculty Designation
- Graduate faculty application form
1. Possession of the Ph.D. or equivalent (other degree, formal training, experience);
2. Scholarly or creative activity as demonstrated by refereed publication or its equivalent for the discipline or field (performance of an artistic work, juried exhibition); and,
3. A record of successful involvement in graduate teaching and/or supervision, or the prospect of such activities.
Categories of graduate faculty:
1. Full Graduate faculty: Tenured or tenure-track, full-time faculty members and Professors Emeriti may be appointed as Full Graduate faculty provided they meet the criteria outlined above. Only members of Full Graduate faculty may solely supervise graduate student research. Only members of Full Graduate faculty may teach graduate courses, with exceptions being allowed upon the permission of the faculty dean.
2. Affiliate Graduate faculty: Adjunct faculty, Limited-term Appointees and Ancillary Academic Staff may be appointed as Affiliate Graduate faculty provided they meet the criteria outlined above. The role of Adjunct faculty members and Ancillary Academic Staff will be limited to participation on Master’s and Doctoral committees in the following capacities: co-supervisor; internal department reader; outside department reader. The role of Limited-term appointees will be limited to participation on Master’s committees only, and in the following capacities: co-supervisor; internal department reader; outside department reader.
Submissions for designation as graduate faculty may be made at any time using the Graduate faculty application form.
1. Application by faculty members or recommendation by the AAU to an appropriate committee of the AAU (for example the appointments committee or the graduate committee)
2. Review by AAU committee of applications received;
3. Forwarding to Dean of Faculty by AAU committee of applications approved along with articulation of how criteria were applied; and,
4. Review by committee of the Faculty and forwarding of approved applications with recommendation to the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- For details refer to the Senate Policy G4 for Graduate Faculty Designation.