We are delighted to announce that we are introducing a new email service for University of Windsor students. The new service, powered by Google Apps, provides more storage as well as an intuitive interface and will integrate with a host of other services. Best of all, your current webmail1 e-mail will be migrated to your new inbox with little disruption.
- What is UWinGmail?
- What Google Apps are included?
- When are we migrating to UWinGmail?
- Who are we migrating to UWinGmail?
- Which student e-mail accounts are being migrated to UWinGmail at UWindsor?
- Will my e-mail address change?
- Is the URL changing to get to student E-mail?
- What will be my username and password and where do I login?
- How do I change my password?
- What about e-mail sent to @webmail1.uwindsor.ca?
- What happens to my old student e-mail?
- Can faculty/staff get UWinGmail accounts?
- How long can I access my old messages
- I forward my mail to another address, what will happen after migration?
- Will I still be able to forward e-mail to another address?
- I already have a personal Gmail account. Do I still need a UWinGmail address?
- Will I see advertisements in my e-mail?
- How do I use UWinGmail?
- Why are my messages not in chronological order?
- Can I check my UWinGmail with Outlook/Apple Mail/Thunderbird or another e-mail client?
- How do I get UWinGmail onto my mobile phone?
- How do I setup UWinGmail on a BlackBerry?
- Can I use POP or IMAP to import/export mail?
- How can I ensure that my account is safe when I use a shared or public computer?
- What are Google’s security and privacy policies?
- Is UWinGmail secure?
- What policies apply to my UWinGmail account?
- Will IT Services provide support for all Google applications?
- What browsers are supported?
- Where will I get technical support?
- How do I export my Calendar from webmail1 to UWinGmail?
- How do I export my Contacts from webmail1 to UWinGmail?
- How do I save my webmail1 web site/web files?
- What is the maximum size for an e-mail or attachments?
- Why do I get a "CAS is Unavailable" message?
- Why do I get "The credentials provided cannot be determined to be authentic" when trying to log in?
- How do I setup UWinGmail on an Android device?
- Why do I get a "Google Apps - Invalid Email" message when trying to log in?
1. What is UWinGmail?
UWinGmail is a package of web applications that includes Webmail, Calendar and Documents. UWinGmail also provides over 25 gigabytes of e-mail storage, thus providing you with increased storage space.
2. What Google Apps are included?
All of the Core Apps are included with Google Apps for Education, including Mail, Calendar, Talk, Docs, Drive, Contacts, and Message Security (spam filtering). Contrary to the link above, UWinGmail does not include Video or Sites.
There are additional apps, however they are unsupported at this time: either they are not covered by our agreement with Google, or not available at all for UWinGmail.
3. When are we migrating to UWinGmail?
The migration process will be done on a By-Invitation basis. Students will receive an e-mail Invitation to Migrate that will contain instructions and a link to the site to sign up to be migrated.
Shortly after a student signs up, a UWinGmail account will be created and messages will be migrated from their webmail1 account into UWinGmail. Once migration begins, new e-mails will begin to arrive in UWinGmail. It is anticipated that each account will be migrated within one day.
4. Who are we migrating to UWinGmail?
The UWinGmail project's mandate is to provide an improved e-mail service to students. As such, the project is first migrating student accounts from the old webmail1 system to the new UWinGmail service.
There are no plans at present to migrate Faculty and Staff e-mail to UWinGmail.
5. Which student e-mail accounts are being migrated to UWinGmail?
All active accounts on the old webmail1 server are being migrated. If you can still log into webmail1, your account will be migrated. Please see the Migration Process page for the order in which accounts will be migrated.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the IT Services HelpDesk at email@example.com or at ext. 4440.
6. Will my e-mail address change?
No. Your e-mail address will remain firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Is the URL changing to get to student e-mail?
Yes. It is changing to /uwingmail.
8. What will be my username and password and where do I login?
Your username and password will remain the same as your current Student Email username and password. You can login at http:/uwingmail
9. How do I change my password?
Please visit the UWinID Web site to change your password.
If your UWinID password is less than 8 characters, you must change it BEFORE beginning the migration process or attempting to use UWinGmail.
10. What about e-mail sent to @webmail1.uwindsor.ca?
We have setup a mail forwarding service that will redirect e-mail sent to webmail1.uwindsor.ca to your UWinGmail mailbox.
11. What happens to my old student e-mail?
IT Services will be copying your old student e-mail to your UWinGmail mailbox. If there are any issues with the copying of your e-mail, please contact the IT Services HelpDesk for assistance.
The old Student e-mail system will remain accessible at https://webmail1.uwindsor.ca for 21 days after your account has been migrated to UWinGmail and will only allow you to send email: no new email will be received.
12. Can faculty/staff get UWinGmail accounts?
While there is currently no intent to migrate faculty/staff e-mail to UWinGmail, UWinGmail still offers a number of other services and applications that faculty and staff might find useful. It is planned that after the student e-mail migration is complete, a process for provisioning UWinGmail accounts for faculty and staff will be implemented.
13. How long can I access my old messages at https://webmail1.uwindsor.ca
As mentioned above, the old Student e-mail system will remain accessible at https://webmail1.uwindsor.ca for 21 days after your account has been migrated to UWinGmail. It will only allow you to send e-mail: no new e-mail will be received.
14. I forward my mail to another address, what will happen after migration?
If you forward incoming messages from my webmail1 account to another e-mail address, for instance a Hotmail or Yahoo account, the forward will cease to operate when your UWindsor account is migrated to UWinGmail.
15. Will I still be able to forward e-mail to another address?
We strongly discourage forwarding your e-mail to another address. Too much e-mail forwarded to personal accounts bounces back and is not delivered. Creating a single and official means of communication with you means we can ensure you receive our messages. The University’s official means of communication with you is your UWinGmail address. Please see the Student E-mail Policy for details.
We suggest that you use an IMAP client like Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook or supported mobile device like an Apple iPhone, Blackberry or Android phone to check and organize your e-mail: this keeps your personal and university e-mail distinct and separate.
It also guarantees that you receive all of your e-mail.
16. I already have a personal Gmail account. Do I still need a UWinGmail address?
Yes. Personal Gmail accounts are different than your UWinGmail account. Your UWinGmail account is now the primary e-mail address and the official means of communication between the University and you.
17. Will I see advertisements in my e-mail?
No. UWinGmail will be free of advertisements.
18. How do I use UWinGmail?
Here are some handy articles on Google Apps or you can always check out their YouTube channel.
- Creating and sending
- Labels and filters
- Suspicious Messages
Calendar & Docs
19. Why are my messages not in chronological order?
Instead of appearing in date order, messages in UWinGmail appear out-of-order, grouped by subject.
By default, messages in UWinGmail are collected into conversations which include all the messages sent and received as part of a series of replies. For more information on Conversations, please visit:
20. Can I check my UWinGmail with Outlook/Apple Mail/Thunderbird or another e-mail client?
Yes, please visit the UWinGmail Mobile Setup page for instructions
Contact the IT Services Help Desk if you run into trouble configuring your client.
21. How do I get UWinGmail onto my mobile phone?
UWinGmail can be added to your mobile phone just like any other Gmail account. This includes mail, contacts and calendar.
Please vist the UWinGmail Mobile Setup page for instructions.
22. How do I setup UWinGmail on a BlackBerry?
Adding UWinGmail to a BlackBerry device requires special instructions. Please visit the BlackBerry setup instructions at /its/uwingmail/uwingmail-setup-for-a-blackberry) for details.
23. Can I use POP/IMAP to Import/Export mail?
To ensure your security and privacy, this is an unsupported feature that we strongly recommend against.
24. How can I ensure that my account is safe when I use a shared or public computer?
Always sign out of your UWinGmail account at the end of your session. If you do not make sure to sign out, the next person who uses the computer may be able to access your information.
25. What are Google’s security and privacy policies?
UWindsor has conducted a thorough Privacy Impact Assessment of Google Apps for Education. Please visit the Notice of Disclusre and Use of Private Information page for further information.
26. Is UWinGmail secure?
When you check your e-mail, Google provides a secure connection from your web browser and/or e-mail client. This encrypts the data between you and Google’s servers while you view or collect your mail. This is the same system that banks use to secure your connection for online banking.
Take the following steps to protect your privacy when using e-mail:
- When using a shared or public computer, always sign out of your UWinGmail account at the end of your session to ensure that the next user cannot view your mail.
- The more complex your password, the better. Passwords that include a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and characters are the most secure.
- Confirm that links in e-mails are genuine before opening them and exposing your account to a virus.
- Turn off your preview pane – some viruses can be activated by an e-mail preview.
- When sending important information in a file attachment, protect the file with a password.
27. What policies apply to my UWinGmail account?
Your UWinGmail account is subject to the UWindsor's Acceptable Use Policy, and any other UWindsor Policies, and Google’s Terms of Service for Google Apps for Education.
28. Will IT Services provide support for all Google applications?
29. What browsers are supported?
Please go here to get the list of fully supported browsers (we recommend using these to get all of UWinGmail's newest features).
30. Where will I get technical support?
Technical support is provided at the IT Services Help Desk.
31. How do I export my Calendar from webmail1 to UWinGmail?
Exporting your Calendar from webmail1 to UWinGmail is a two-step process. First you must export your Calendar data from your old webmail1 account, then you must import it into your new UWinGmail account. This document provides instructions.
32. How do I export my Contacts from webmail1 to UWinGmail?
Exporting your Contacts from webmail1 to UWinGmail is a two-step process. First you must export your Contacts data from your old webmail1 account, then you must import it into your new UWinGmail account. This document provides instructions.
33. How do I save my webmail1 web site/web files?
Your webmail1 account also included 20MB of space for a personal web site or storing files. This document provides innstructions.
34. What is the maximum size for an e-mail or attachments?
Until the full migration of all students to new UWinGmail accounts is complete, the maximum message size (including attachments) is 10MB (megabytes).
Once all students have been migrated off of the old webmail1 system, the message size limit will be increased.
35. Why do I get a "CAS is Unavailable" message?
When trying to log in, some users receive a message stating that "CAS is Unavailable. There was an error trying to complete your request. Please notify your support desk or try again." This affects services such as UWinGmail and Big File Drop Box (BFDB).
This error is caused by an incompatibility between your browser's language setting and the University's Central Authentication Service (CAS). Your browser's language is set to some value other than English (for instance French or Chinese) and CAS is currently experiencing a problem processing requests for alternate languages.
Until we can correct CAS' support for multiple languages, you can workaround this problem by temporarily setting your browser's language setting to English, logging in through CAS, then changing the language setting back to your preferred language.
36. Why do I get "The credentials provided cannot be determined to be authentic" when trying to log in?
After providing your credentials (UWinID and password) to log in, the following message is displayed: "The credentials you provided cannot be determined to be authentic."
The most common causes of this problem are either an incorrect password or accidentally including @uwindsor.ca after your UWinID. Your UWinID does not contain the suffix @uwindsor.ca.
Try again after verifying your password and removing @uwindsor.ca after your UWinID. If you continue to be unable to log in, contact the HelpDesk.
37. How do I setup UWinGmail on an Android device?
The screenshots for these instructions were taken from a Samsung Nexus S running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Your phone's menus may appear different depending on the model and version of Android. This document provides instructions.
35. Why do I get a "Google Apps - Invalid Email" message when trying to log in?
When trying to log in to UWinGmail, after successfully providing my UWinID and password to the UWin Central Authentication Service, I get a message from Google Apps stating "Invalid Email. We are unable to process your request at this time, please try again later."
This error is usually caused because you are a student who has not yet migrated from webmail1 to UWinGmail or you are trying to use a faculty or staff account.
If you are a student, you can correct this by migrating to UWinGmail. Check your inbox for a message entitled "Invitation to Migrate to UWinGmail." Visit /its/uwingmail/migration-process for details of the migration process.
Faculty and staff do not have accounts on UWinGmail and cannot log in.