Dr. Krista Chandler
Phone : (519) 253 - 3000 ext: 2446
Office: H.K. Building, Room 115
B.A. (University of Prince Edward Island)
M.A. (Queen's University)
Ph.D (University of Western Ontario)
Dr. Krista Chandler has been a faculty member in the department since 1999. She teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the area of sport and exercise psychology. As a certified instructor in the fitness industry, Dr. Chandler has skillfully bridged the gap between the theoretical and applied practice of sport and exercise psychology. Dr. Chandler has published articles in a variety of scholarly journals including The Sport Psychologist, European Journal of Sport Sciences, Exercise and Sport Science Review, and the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. In addition to her research, Dr. Chandler works with athletes of all ages, levels, and sport in helping them achieve their personal performance goals, working extensively with both able-bodied athletes and athletes with a disability.
Areas of Research Interest
- Imagery use in sport and exercise
- Body image concerns in men and women
- The drive for muscularity and exercise dependence
- The application of sport psychology interventions
Current Research Funding
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and Sport Canada Research initiative (2010-2013). Development of the Physical Activity Questionnaire for Children.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (2006-2009). Young athletes' imagery use from a developmental perspective.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council and Sport Canada Research Initiative (2006-2009). Research time stipend.
Key Scholarly Activities:
Munroe-Chandler, K. J. & Hall, C. R. (2011). Psychological interventions in sport. In P. Crocker (Ed.), Introduction to sport psychology: A Canadian perspective (2nd ed., pp. 363-392). Toronto, ON: Pearson.
Sabiston, C. M., & Munroe-Chandler, K. J., (2010). Effects of fitness advertising on weight and body shape dissatisfaction, social physique anxiety, and exercise motives in a sample of healthy-weight females. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 14, 165-180.
Hall, C. R., Munroe-Chandler, K. J. Fishburne, G., & Hall, N. D. (2009). The Sport Imagery Questionnaire for Children (SIQ-C). Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 13, 93-107.
Munroe-Chandler, K. J., Hall, C., Fishburne, G., & Strachan, L. (2007). Where, when and why athletes use imagery: An examination of developmental differences. Research Quarterly for Sport and Exercise, 78(2), 103-116.
Munroe-Chandler, K. J. & Gammage, K. L. (2005). Now see this: A new vision of exercise imagery. Exercise and Sport Sciences Review, 33 (4), 201-205.
Munroe-Chandler, K. J., Kim, A., & Gammage, K. (summer 2004). Using imagery to predict weightlifting dependency in men. International Journal of Men’s Health, 3, 129-139.