Ph.D., Boston University, 1984 (Geography)
Professor Anderson’s main research interests are in transportation studies; international trade and business; Canada-US economic integration; energy and environmental studies; and urban and regional economic analysis. He has conducted research funded by research councils and government agencies in both the US and Canada. Canadian studies include: cross-border trade and investment, factors driving interregional migration, energy demand in the transportation and commercial sectors, potential impacts of climate change on the energy sector in the Canadian Arctic, models of transportation and land use in cities, and the economic impacts of highway bypasses. US studies include assessing the economic impacts of highway construction projects, potential impacts of climate change on urban transportation systems, analysis of spatial variations in commercial airfares, economic development in highway corridors and the effect of e-commerce on transportation systems.
- POLS 3240 Public Infrastructure
- POLS 4400 Remaking North America: Geographic Perspectives on US-Canada Politics
- POLS 8420 Politics in the Developed World
- William P. Anderson, 2012. "Public policy in a cross-border economic region." International Journal of Public Sector Management, 25 (6/7): 492-499.
- William P. Anderson and Andrew Coates, 2010. "Delays and Uncertainty in Freight Movements the Canada-US Border Crossings." Transportation Logistics Trends and Policies: Successes and Failures, Proceedings of the 45th Annual Conference of the Canadian Transportation Research Forum, pp. 129-143.
- William P. Anderson, 2010. "Strategies for Increasing the Use of the FAST Program at Canada-US Border Crossings." Proceedings: Seminar on Canada-US Border Management Policy Issues, April 12, 2010. Border Policy Research Institute, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA.
- William P. Anderson, 2009. "Cross-border Supply Chains in the Post-9/11 Security Environment." The Impact of Volatility on Canada’s Supply Chains and Transportation, Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference of the Canadian Transportation Research Forum, pp. 471-484.
- Kumudu Gunaserka, William Anderson, and T.R. Lakshmanan, 2008. "Highway-induced development: Evidence from Sri Lanka." World Development, 36 (11): 2371-2389.
- William P. Anderson and Thomas R. Leinbach, 2007. "E-commerce, logistics and the future of globalized freight." In Thomas R. Leinbach and Cristina Capineri (eds.), Globalized Freight Transport: Intermodality, E-Commerce, Logistics and Sustainability. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, pp. 167-188.
- William P. Anderson and T.R. Lakshmanan, 2007. "Infrastructure and Productivity: What are the Underlying Mechanisms?" In Charlie Karlsson, William P. Anderson, Börje Johansson, and Kiyoshi Kobayashi (eds.), The Management and Measurement of Infrastructure: Performance, Efficiency and Innovation. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK.
- Shiri M.Breznitz and William P. Anderson, 2006. "Boston metropolitan area biotechnology cluster." Canadian Journal of Regional Science, 28 (3): 249-264.
- Pablo Suarez, William Anderson, Vijay Mahal, and T.R. Lakshmanan, 2005. "Impacts of flooding and climate change on urban transportation: A systemwide performance assessment of the Boston Metro Area." Transportation Research Part D, 10: 231-244.