New EPICentre Location at the Joyce Entreprenurship Centre
The University of Windsor's new innovation space at the Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre: EPIC Innovation, is now home to the Entrepreneurship Practice and Innovation Centre (EPICentre).
EPIC Innovation, a new 10,000 ft2 space on the 2nd floor of the Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre, will complement the services offered by the EPICentre to support the entrepreneurial activities of students and recent graduates. Working with partners such as Windsor Law and the Windsor-Essex Economic Development Corporation, EPICentre hosts workshops, consulting services, guest speakers, funding competitions and startup weekends for budding entrepreneurs. The new incubator space will be jointly managed by the Odette School of Business and the Office of Research and Innovation Services.
More information about EPICentre is available at www.epicentreuwindsor.ca.
Wen Teoh takes on New Position as Venture Start Director at EPICentre
Wen Teoh has been appointed the new Venture Start Director of EPICentre. As Venture Start Director, Wen will lead the strategic development and management of business incubators for EPICentre. She will oversee projects which include EPIC Innovation in the Joyce Entrepreneurship Centre, the Industrial Courtyard in the Centre for Engineering Innovation, and Bio-Tech Courtyard.
Wen will also be the main point of contact for student venture start-ups and industry interested in renting space within EPICentre, government funding agencies, and other stakeholders supporting the entrepreneurial ecosystem within the Windsor-Essex region. For more information
In 2012 Wen obtained her MBA from the Odette School of Business. Wen has co-founded an international gas distribution company in Malaysia and has started and sold a cylinder distribution company in the U.S. She will bring her experience and knowledge to a team that is committed to the success of young entrepreneurs in the area.
Read the Daily News article about Wen's appointment for more information.
New Faces at the Office of Research and Innovation Services
Nicole Lyons is the new Intern for the Ontario Brain Institute in the Office of Research and Innovation Services. She is a recent M.Sc. graduate in biological sciences from the University of Windsor and is working to apply her scientific skill set in the field of technology transfer.
Nadia Masri is the new Animal Care Coordinator. She has worked at the University of Windsor for over three years and is also a graduate. As the Animal Care Coordinator she is the primary contact for the University of Windsor’s Animal Care Committee (ACC) which oversees all matters pertaining to research that involves animals.
Linda Sterling is the new Operations Manager of the University of Windsor Central Animal Care Facility effective December 1, 2014. Linda has served as the temporary Central Animal Care Facility Technician since February 2013 and brings to the position a wealth of experience in her past positions in animal care St. Clair College and Branton Animal Hospital.
Rebecca Williams, a recent PhD graduate in biology from the University of Windsor is the new Research Commercialization Associate in the Office of Research and Innovation Services. She is working to advance the commercialization of medical and cancer-related innovations.
We wish a warm welcome to Nicole, Nadia and Rebecca and congratulations to Linda!
Save the Date – Writing Retreat
We will be hosting a writing retreat at Willistead Manor on April 21 and 22, 2015. This event will provide an opportunity for you to hone your grant writing skills by working on a proposal while getting support and feedback from your peers. Workshops scheduled so far include Writing Policy Briefs with Suzanne McMurphy and Adam Vasey and Mentoring Students to Do Research with Jessica Raffoul.
Save a spot with Natasha Wiebe, 519-253-3000 ext 3953.
Application Deadlines for Major Agencies
- Registration on ResearchNET – January 9, 2015, 8 pm
- FAHSS deadline for review (c/o E. Maticka-Tyndale) – February 9, 2015
- ORIS deadline for review – February 16, 2015
- Deadline for submission to CIHR – March 2, 2015, 4 pm. (Try to submit 2 days early to avoid last-minute technical problems on ResearchNET.)
- Early-bird internal deadline (recommended) – December 15, 2014. Want to avoid the January crunch? Send some or all of your draft application to Natasha Wiebe before the winter holidays.
- FAHSS deadline for review (c/o E. Maticka-Tyndale) – January 5, 2015
- ORIS deadline for review (required) – January 19, 2015
- FAHSS Deadline for submission to SSHRC – February 2, 2015, 4 pm, since the annual deadline of February 1 falls on a weekend. (Try to submit 2 days early to avoid last-minute technical problems on SSHRC’s online system.)
- FAHSS deadline for review (c/o E. Maticka-Tyndale) – At least 2 weeks before you submit to ORIS
- ORIS deadline for review – At least 2 weeks before you submit to SSHRC
- Deadline for submission to SSHRC – By 4 pm on February 3, 2015; May 1, 2015; August 1, 2015; or November 1, 2015.
Notes from the Desk of the Chair of the Research Ethics Board
The REB wishes the entire campus community an enjoyable and restful holiday season.
As of January 1, 2015, all new applications to the board must occur on the latest application form. Applications on old versions of the form will be returned.
The beginning of the year is a very busy time at the board. The board strongly recommends that researchers submit applications well in advance (at least one month) of planned start dates.
Chair, Research Ethics Board