Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Faculty of Science Students

  1. How do I know what courses are required for my program?

You can book an appointment with your departmental academic advisor, consult your degree audit, or take a look at the undergraduate calendar to determine your required courses.

Find courses offered in each department: Biology | Chemistry & Biochemistry | Physics | Computer Science | Mathematics & Statistics | School of the Environment | Economics | Forensics Science

  1. How can academic advisors help me and how do I contact them?

Each department in the Faculty of Science have dedicated Departmental Academic Advisors that can help you understand your degree audit, explain what courses you need to graduate, and help you deal with other academic inquiries specific to your program. To request an appointment with your academic advisor in your department, please see the following:

Biomedical Sciences – Please contact Dr. Andrew Hubberstey at to request an appointment.

Chemistry and Biochemistry – Please contact the Chemistry and Biochemistry main office at 253-3000 (x3526) or by emailing to Please provide your full name, student number and description of problem(s) or questions. Click here for more information or visit the Chemistry & Biochemistry Main Office in 273-1 Essex Hall.

Computer Science – Please contact the Computer Science main office either through email or 519-253-3000 Ext. 2991. For here for more information.

Economics – Please contact one of the following advisors:

Environment – Please contact one of the following advisors:

Forensic Science – Please contact Dr. Shashi Jasra Email: or phone: 519-253-3000, Ext. 4583

Integrative Biology – Please contact the Biology main office at 519-253-3000 (ext.2695, or 2696) or email Click here  for more information about advisors and program advising forms.

Mathematics and Statistics – Please contact Dr. Abdul Hussein at or click here for more information regarding advising hours and location or contact.

Physics – Please contact the Physics Main Office at 519-253-300 (x2647) or email to set up an appointment.

To seek academic advice from the Associate Dean of Science, please visit the Faculty of Science office in Rm. 242 Essex Hall, call 519-253-3000 Extension: 3009 or email

To seek a campus wide academic advisor (not specific to your department or program) please visit the Student Leadership and Success Centre in Dillon Hall Rm. 111, or visit their appointment booking website for more information.

  1. What do course codes represent and how do I read them?

Course codes have recently changed to a new format and they are now composed of a four letter subject code which identifies the discipline and a four digit catalogue number where the first digit indicates the level of study. The other three digits of the catalogue number have been determined by the academic area. An example is the course code BIOL-1101 where the subject code is BIOL and the catalogue number is 1101. For more information on course codes go to the UWinsite Project Website or to the Course Code Translator accessible from the Registrar’s web pages.

  1. What is a minor and how do I change it?

A minor is a secondary academic discipline that usually requires 6 courses in that particular discipline.  Minors are listed in the Academic Calendar under each program area. It is always advisable to check with an academic advisor regarding both minor and major course requirements. You can change your minor by accessing your account at Click on “My Academics” and then click “Add/Change Minor” on the first page that opens. 

  1. How do I drop a course? What is a Voluntary Withdrawal?

Students can drop a course using the self-serve UWinsite Student portal.  Within the free add/drop period (first 2 weeks of the semester), a student who drops a course is completely removed from the class list. Following this period and until the close of the ninth week of class (VW deadline date), a student who drops a course is assigned a grade of VW (voluntary withdrawal) on their transcript. A student cannot drop a course after the VW deadline date and will receive a final grade as appropriate.

Find VW deadline dates for current and upcoming semesters at Important Academic Dates.

For more information about dropping a course or voluntary withdrawal please visit the Office of the Registrar.

  1. What do I do if I miss an exam, test, assignment, etc. due to illness?

The first thing you should do is to consult with your professor and inform them of your illness. Most instructors also have information regarding illness and missing assessments in their course syllabi. You may also need to complete a Student Medical Certificate for the Faculty of Science and present it to the instructor.

  1. What should I do if I have an exam conflict?

If you have an exam conflict due to observance of religious holidays you may apply for an alternate examination through the Office of the Registrar here

If you have three or more final exams scheduled within a 24 hour period, you may apply for an alternate examination either directly with your course instructor or through the Office of the Registrar here.

  1. Should I buy textbooks before the semester begins?

Your textbook list can usually be found in the course syllabus. You may want to attend the first class before buying any textbooks in case your professor gives you more information on what textbook they expect you to have. New editions are available at the UWindsor Campus Bookstore and you can order them online (UWindsor Bookstore). In case your class uses an online homework system (e.g., Mastering Chemistry or My Econ Lab), the access code will usually be included with new textbooks.  Students who have a used book or choose not to purchase a textbook can purchase stand-alone access to these systems direct from the publisher. You can visit the campus bookstore or email your professor for more information about the textbook and online materials for the course.

  1. Where can I get a lab coat and safety glasses?

You can purchase lab coats and safety glasses anytime during the semester from the Campus Bookstore (located in the basement of CAW) or during the first few weeks of classes from the Graduate Chemistry Club (located in room 173-2 of Essex Hall). As a bonus, you can Tie Dye your lab coat with Science Society during Windsor’s Welcome Week (first week of classes) or Frost Week (first week of classes after Winter Break).

  1. What is the grade appeal process?

All appeals processes have rules that are provided in Senate Bylaw 51.

Informal Appeal - Before any formal appeals process it is important that students approach their professors to discuss any  concerns they have about how they have been graded or their marks recorded.  This may be done by attending professors set office hours, making an appointment directly with the professor, or contacting the department office to arrange a meeting with the professor.  In many situations, the informal conversation process is preferable to the formal process, so it is recommended you try this first.

Formal Appeal - If an informal process breaks down or a student remains unsatisfied following a discussion with the professor, the formal appeal process through UWinsite can be undertaken.  It is important that any formal appeal includes documentation regarding the appeal, such as a letter including detailed reasons for the appeal.  If available, scanned copies of the relevant assessment(s) can be included.   Any supporting documentation should also be included (for example, notes from health care providers).  A formal appeal is not initiated by emailing the Associate Dean, Dean, or President of the University.  The Dean (or designate) reviews all appeals, after they have been reviewed by a professor (or two) and the head of department.  The decision at that stage is final.  If nothing is heard regarding the formal appeal after a few weeks it is advisable to contact the professor to see if they received it, or following that contact to investigate the status of the appeal. 

Advice on formal appeals may be sought from professors, department offices, registrar’s office, associate dean’s offices, Student Leadership and Success Centre, or the UWSA.

  1. What are the academic, mentoring, tutoring and other support options available on campus?
  • MySci Advisors is a science-based mentoring program that matches incoming Faculty of Science students  with an upper year student in the same program. You can gain valuable advice while also making connections.
  • Connecting4Success (C4S) is a campus mentoring program that also matches you up with an upper year student and they host a variety of outings and events throughout the year.
  • SOS (Students Offering Support) is a tutoring resource available for the majority of first and second year science courses (as well as courses in other faculties). You will receive a package and also be able to attend an on-campus session, and all proceeds go towards sustainable education projects in Central America. 
  • Student Leadership and Success Centre provides general advising and can help you understand your Advisement Report.  They are also a good source of information for all services available on campus.
  • The Peer Support Center is a good resource if you want to express your mental health concerns to other students. Their office is located in the second floor of the CAW.
  • Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) is an online library of engaging, interactive programs to learn life skills and to help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life. As you watch videos and engage with our interactive components, you'll gain the knowledge, self-awareness, and skills you need to achieve your goals. 
  • Student Counselling Centre at the University of Windsor provides registered students free, confidential mental health counselling delivered by trained mental health  professionals. Students in crisis will be provided support and counselling.
  1. How can I get involved in undergraduate research?

The first step is to familiarize yourself with the different types of research being conducted by professors in the Faculty of Science. Click here to gain access to individual departmental webpages, and the research areas of the professors. Once you have identified a few research areas you are interested in, then work to develop a relationship with these professors.  Initial contact may be made through email, visiting them during their office hours, or by setting up an appointment to discuss potential student research positions (paid or unpaid) in their lab.  Advisors in program areas may also be able to offer some suggestions about getting started in research experiences.

Paid opportunities are also posted on Ignite, a work study program, as well as the Outstanding Scholars program (Invitation based at the end of first year).

  1. What is the Outstanding Scholars Program?

The Outstanding Scholars program provides paid research opportunities to high-achieving students. Scholars work closely with faculty, often in a lab or field setting, and may have the opportunity to publish their work or present at conferences. For further details visit the following link.

  1. What is an NSERC USRA and how do I apply?

The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Undergraduate

Student Research Award (USRA) aims to encourage students to pursue graduate studies in their fields by providing eligible students scholarships for working on a research project during a period of 16 weeks during the Fall, Winter, or Summer semester. In order to apply for an NSERC USRA, you must first find a professor with a research lab who will supervise you as you work on an available research project (professor must also hold active NSERC research grant). Application deadlines vary depending on the department and the selection criteria is based on academic performance. For more information, please contact your departmental office or visit the NSERC website.

  1. Is there support from the Faculty of Science for students to travel to conferences?

The Faculty of Science is pleased to provide support for undergraduate and graduate students to present a paper or poster at regional, national, and international conferences. For more information please see the Student Travel Fund.

  1. What are some high impact experiential learning courses available directly through the Faculty of Science?

High Impact Experiential Learning courses provide students the opportunities to apply what they have learned in the classroom and gain critical transferrable skills in the areas of  communication, collaboration, organization and management. Below are a few of the courses in science that offer such high impact experiential learning.

  • Science Service Learning: Students work with community partners to address community needs related to science  and students will also have the opportunity to obtain first-hand experience in matters related to their curriculum. (Course Code: SCIE-3800).
  • Science Internship: Twelve week work placement programs with an internship report due upon completion. Allows students to gain work experience while developing writing skills, interpersonal skills and it also opens up several potential career pathways. (Course Code: SCIE-3990).
  • Science Undergraduate Research: Students work under supervision of a faculty member to help them with the research they are working on. Allows students to learn techniques and gives them first-hand experience on how to conduct research. (Course Code: SCIE-3900).
  • Cancer Undergraduate Research Education (CURE): Students have a unique opportunity to work together with professional researchers and clinicians to brainstorm ideas to communicate cancer research to the public. It also opens up the door to volunteer with the Windsor Cancer Research Group (Course Code: SCIE-3750).

Visit this link for more information on these courses and other general science courses.

  1. What is the LEAD Medallion Scholars Program?

The Faculty of Science introduced the LEAD Medallion Scholars program to recognize students in good standing who have excelled beyond the classroom.  To earn a medallion, recipients will have demonstrated Leadership, Engagement, Application and Discovery during your time in the Faculty of Science at the University of Windsor.  For more information please see the Faculty of Science LEAD Medallion Scholars Program.

  1. What is the USci Network?

The USci Network brings together students, faculty and staff from across all the Faculty of Science programs to work collaboratively in providing a unique integrative support system with the goal of enriching the student experience. Located in Rm. 335 Essex Hall, students can participate in many of our initiatives including Careers in Science, Science Meets Art (SMArt), Women in Science (WinS), Destination Science, Sci of Relief and Science Living Learning Community. Information can be found in the USci Blackboard folders or through this link. You can also email or follow USci Network on Twitter and Instagram

  1. What is Science Society (S2)?

Science Society is an organization that represents and advocates for all undergraduate students in the Faculty of Science. They manage many of the Science related events during Welcome Week and throughout the year. They host academic meet and greets like Meet the Profs and GA’s Night, Pi Day, etc. Visit this link for more information.

  1. What is Let’s Talk Science (LTS)?

Let’s Talk Science is an award-winning national organization that aims to encourage youth to pursue careers in STEM fields. As a volunteer, you’ll have the opportunity to go on various classroom visits and community events to present fun and interactive science activities to kids. You will always be paired up with other volunteers for the visits and you only have to sign up for visits that you are available to go on so it’s very flexible. They help manage events such as Science Olympiad, Science Rendezvous, LTS Challenge, etc. Visit this link for more information.

  1. What are other organizations or clubs that I can join related to the faculty of Science?
  • Departmental Student Associations
  • Physics Club
  • Undergraduate Chemistry Club (UGCC)
  • Behaviour, Cognition and Neuroscience Students Association (BCNSA)
  • Heart and Stroke Foundation
  • Stem Cell Club
  • Blood Club
  • Student Medical Response Services (SMRS)
  • Friends of MSF
  • Premed Society

Information about these clubs as well as other groups can be found by visiting this link and logging in to your UWindsor account.