Bachelor of Arts (Honours) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) in Visual Arts
Our BFA honors program offers you excellent studio space, invaluable foundation skills and supportive faculty, to support the development of your individual creativity and expression.
We offer professional, skill-based training in photography, painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, digital video and new media, contextualized through the study of critical and theoretical concerns in contemporary art.
We offer in-depth studio practices and art history combined with exhibition opportunities and exposure to the cultural institutions of Windsor and Detroit.
Our program includes courses in drawing, painting, print media, photography, sculpture, BioArt, film production and integrated media (digital imaging, sound and video). Individual studio space is available to you during Year 4.
Our studio faculty members exhibit their own work nationally and internationally, and our media art history/visual culture faculty members are invited to lecture in communities both in Canada and abroad. Among our graduates are nationally known artists, faculty at universities in both Canada and the US, and curators in major art galleries.
We have technology based facilities, including the INCUBATOR lab specializing in art and biotechnology, as well as 2-D and 3-D scanning and printing centres. We offer regular workshops in entrepreneurialism in the arts, and have developed a series of interdisciplinary topic based classes such as: Green Corridor, Stories of the City and Border Cultures.
We are also opening a new, interdisciplinary arts complex at the University of Windsor’s downtown campus in fall 2017.
Course Descriptions - Visual Arts
Department - School of Creative Arts
- Minimum admission average of 70%
- Mean admission average of 80%
- The OSS Diploma and six Grade 12 U or M courses, including ENG4U.
- Students may choose to double major in any BA Honours program.
- For the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Arts: the mean admission average is 88%.
- A portfolio is not required for admission to our B.F.A. Visual Arts program. However, admission to Year 2 is based on successful evaluation.
The School of Creative Arts Projects Gallery is a student programmed exhibition space that features something new on a weekly basis. Throughout the year, visual arts students put their works on display for their peers, faculty, the UWindsor community, and the Windsor area at large. We also encourage you to engage in the local arts community by exhibiting and participating in off campus, cultural activities.
- Practising artist in such areas as photography, cinematography, painting, drawing, printmaking and sculpture
- Media arts
- Arts administration
- Project management
- Education (with additional studies)
- Graduate studies in studio or academic programs
- Arts entrepreneur
- View the School of Creative Arts—Visual Arts program guide (PDF format)
- Request more information
- Admission Requirements
- How to Apply
Student Recruitment Office
Toll-Free (Canada/US): 1-800-864-2860