Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) in Visual Arts and the Built Environment
Visual Arts and the Built Environment (VABE) is a unique program offered by the University of Windsor’s School of Creative Arts in collaboration with the University of Detroit Mercy’s (UDM) School of Architecture.
This cross-border program combines the study of art and architecture and offers you the breadth of knowledge and experience in both disciplines.
- Offered by the University of Windsor’s School of Creative Arts in collaboration with University of Detroit Mercy’s (UDM) School of Architecture
- Offers a direct pathway to a Master’s of Architecture degree at UDM for those qualified and offers the opportunity for three degrees in five years
- Combines the study of art and architecture and offers students knowledge and experience in both disciplines and a special niche in advanced studies
- Is a distinctive mix of creativity, intellectual inquiry and technical challenge
- Includes courses at both the Windsor and Detroit campuses in architectural design, art history, contemporary art, visual culture, construction and environmental technology
- Provides multiple opportunities for Visual Arts students:
a) Complete four years at the University of Windsor and graduate with a BFA in Visual Arts and the Built Environment
b) Obtain a general BA after three years of study
c) Qualified, third-year students interested in pursuing architecture can apply to the Architectural Program at UDM. This option leads to either a Bachelor of Science degree in architecture after fourth year from UDM or, with a fifth year of study, a professional degree at the Master’s level from UDM
- Offers professional placement co-op opportunities as part of the four-year BSc in Architecture
NOTE: VABE students are required to take classes in Detroit, Michigan, and must be Canadian citizens able to travel to the US
Course Descriptions - Visual Arts
Department - School of Creative Arts
- Minimum admission average of 75%
- Mean admission average of 85%
- The OSS Diploma and six Grade 12 U or M courses, including ENG4U. SPH4U and MHF4U also required, MCV4U is recommended.
- VABE students are required to take classes in Detroit, Michigan, and must be Canadian citizens able to travel to the U.S.
VABE students learn through the exploration of design problems by working independently and in small self-directed teams. They have numerous opportunities to publicly present their work and receive feedback from their peers, faculty, the UWindsor and University of Detroit communities, as well as from practicing architects. They develop competencies through case projects and acquire skills essential to thrive as effective designers.
- Further study at the master’s level in architecture (MArch. – professional degree) and Visual Arts
- Building design
- Urban planning and revitalization
- Architectural journalism
- Project and facility management
- Real estate
- Interior spatial design
- Set production
- Visual Arts
- Art/architectural history
- View the School of Creative Arts—Visual Arts program guide (PDF format)
- Request more information
- Admission Requirements
- How to Apply
Student Recruitment Office
Toll-Free (Canada/US): 1-800-864-2860