The Windsor Armouries has served many functions as a place where the community gathers for concerts, markets and special events. As we embark on this exciting new adventure, the University is committed to ensuring that the Armouries continues to be a place our community can cherish and share with us. We want our community to be engaged with the creative endeavours of our students, faculty and staff.
The University of Windsor has engaged architects to re-imagine the Armouries as a new space for learning and community engagement, while maintaining the integrity of this historical building.
History: The Windsor Armouries has been a Windsor landmark since it was completed in 1902 when it was home to the 21st Regiment Essex Fusiliers. During the First World War, three battalions were organized in the Armouries using the 21st Fusiliers as a base—the 18th Battalion; the 99th Battalion, and the 241st Battalion.
At the start of the Second World War, The Essex Scottish, which had been changed in 1927 from The Essex Fusiliers, became the first western Ontario militia infantry unit to be included in the Canadian Active Service Force.
The Armouries was also home to The 2nd Battalion (Reserve) Essex Scottish Regiment; The Essex Regiment (Tank), later known as the 30th Reconnaissance Regiment; a reserve battalion of the 30th RECCE, later known as the 22nd RECCE, and known later still as The Windsor Regiment, which remains today; and the No. 1086 Army Cadet Corps.
The building was also used by the Windsor District Military Band, which includes the Essex and Kent Scottish Pipe Band, and shared the Officers’ Mess with the Windsor Military Institute.
Windsor Star Building
Many of the agencies we work with and the people our students are engaged with are in the downtown core. Moving closer to them presents an opportunity to significantly broaden the bandwidth between important academic programming and the needs of our community.
One of the exciting things about the Windsor Star Building is its central location between the St. Clair Centre for the Arts and the Mediaplex. There will be exciting opportunities for synergy created by this growing post-secondary cluster within the downtown core.
History: The Star moved into its downtown facility at the corner of Ferry and Pitt Streets on June 17, 1927.
Open the Request for Heritage Designation (pdf format) recently filed for the Windsor Star Building.