This interactive class offers individuals with an opportunity to review and refresh their foundational pharmacology knowledge through case scenarios. Through live online instructions, students will examine the foundational pharmacological principles regarding pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and pharmacotherapeutics. Antibiotic classes, indications, selection process, drug contraindication, and therapy duration will be reviewed. Students will also be provided with an introduction to required prescription components and practice prescription writing.
- Learners who successfully complete this class will be able to:
- Define common terms used in pharmacology.
- Discuss the application of pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics in drug therapy.
- Discuss general principals of antibiotic therapy.
- Explain how antibiotics work against infections in the body.
- Classify antibiotics by their general category.
- Discuss the mechanism of action, indications, cautions, contraindications, routes of administration, and drug interactions for the classes of antibiotics.
- Identify drug-specific adverse and toxic effects for each of the antibiotic classes discussed.
- Identify required legal components of a prescription.
Learners who complete the class will receive a Certificate of Participation.
- $175 + HST UWindsor Alumni, Staff and Students are eligible for discounts. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Save 10% by purchasing HLTH 7101 Foundations of Pharmacology and HLTH 7102 Health Assessment Refresher Workshop together.
- Access to a computer with high speed internet to stream classes.
- Class is open to any Medical Practitioner who would like to refresh their knowledge, however, it is geared toward students enrolled in the Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner (PHCNP) program. Participation in this class will prepare PHCNP students with the advanced therapeutic skills required for the program and for the Therapeutics I course. Proof of admission may be requested.
Sign up on our Interest List to be notified about enrolment and receive updates from Continuing Education.