Working for the Department of Athletics and Recreational Services means having an employer that understands school comes first, says Jordan Brescacin.
“It has been a job that is very flexible,” says Brescacin, a Lancer football player in the final year of his studies in the concurrent math and education program.
A member of the event staff tasked with compiling basketball statistics, he was one of the Lancer student staff members honoured for their hard work and dedication Wednesday at the Blue and Gold luncheon held at the St. Denis Centre.
The event highlighted all the areas within the department, including the St. Denis Centre, Campus Recreation, aquatics, student managers and therapists, and the Lancer home event staff.
“It gives us a chance to recognize some of the behind-the-scenes work that our students do in support of our varsity programs and fitness activities,” says athletics director Gord Grace. “We couldn’t do our jobs without them.”
Like Brescacin, fourth-year environmental science student Brittany Jennings won a Lancer Leader award for her work as a game day manager for Lancer hockey. She echoed his comments about the convenience of a campus job.
“At the beginning of the school year, the season schedule is set, so I have my work schedule set out,” she says. “If I know of any conflicts, I can get my boss to help find someone to cover when I need it.”
And Vince Liburdi, an education student who worked as a marketing and promotions assistant, says no matter how stressful on any given day, his job was still fun.
“It’s nice to be recognized for something you love to do,” he says.
The full list of award recipients is:
- St. Denis Centre Employee of the Year – Samir Mouawad
- Aquatics Employee of the Year – Celine Freeman-Gibb
- Intramurals Employee of the Year – Shawn McDonald
- Forge Fitness Centre Employee of the Year – Matt McGarva
- Personal Trainer Top Sales – Candice Chevalier
- Outstanding Customer Service Award – Wilson Ly
- Instructional Fitness Award – Mike Carter
- Dave West Student Manager of the Year– Richard Johnston, Cross Country/Track & Field
- Bill Mitchell Student Therapist of the Year – Aaron Rusciolelli, Men’s Basketball
- Lancer Home Events Employee of the Year – Heather Walker
- Lancer Leader Award – Peter Karas, Loren Dillane, Mike Naraine, Tabitha Hudson, Cora Sampson, Andrea Cornett, Zach Nickels, Stephan Charette, Alyssa King, Brittany Jennings, Vincenzo Liburdi, Jordan Brescacin
- Athletics & Rec Services Student Employee of the Year – Zach Nickels