Students planning to join the academy as a graduate assistant (GA) or teaching assistant (TA) will benefit from enrolling now in the GATAcademy, a full-day professional development event Wednesday, September 4.
Workshops feature material and activities for both new and experienced Gas and TAs, and all are free for UWindsor students. Registration is now open at ctl.uwindsor.ca/GATA.
Sessions will be led by experienced graduate and teaching assistants, as well as instructors from the faculties of education; human kinetics; and arts, humanities and social sciences; and staff from Leddy Library, the Centre for Teaching and Learning, and the International Student Centre.
Topics of discussion include:
- The First Day
- Conducting Effective Labs and Tutorials
- Teaching in the Multicultural Classroom
- Dealing with Conflict
- Say What You Mean: Effective Explanations in the Classroom
- Maintaining Professionalism and E-mail Etiquette in a Cyber-Centred World
- Zotero: Your Research, a Click Away!
- Classroom Technologies: From Consoles to CLEW
- Grading and Providing Meaningful Feedback
- Catch Me if You Can: Identifying Plagiarism in Students’ Papers and Assignments
- Teaching with Stats and Data
- Leading Dynamic Discussions
The day also promises a free lunch for those who register in advance. Students with fool allergies or special dietary requirements are advised to contact Marilyn Powley at email@example.com by noon on Wednesday, August 28.