There was no free lunch this year, but the coronavirus pandemic could not keep Athletics and Recreational Services from recognizing the contributions of its student staff.
The department announced the recipients of its Blue and Gold awards, which honour the dedicated students who work there, Thursday after the cancellation of the annual luncheon, originally scheduled this year for March 20.
Eighteen student employees who will graduate this spring after years of service in leadership capacities received the Lancer Leader Award: Gord Hill, Isabella Jean, Mallory Martin, Dana Rosaasen, Shelby Johnston, Cameron Armstrong, Sikander Saleem, Christopher Zorbas, Christina Branton-Murphy, Cassell Jones, Stephanie Benninger, Olivia Emers, Fiona Rocheleau, Mason Sheppard, Matt Thompson, Shaina Gazarek, Ryan Burrows, and Keiana Johnston.
Major honours also went to:
- St. Denis Centre Employee of the Year Tereza Fountain, facility supervisor
- Lancer Recreation Employee of the Year Michelle Louwagie, personal trainer
- Aquatics Employee of the Year McKenna Sarafin, aquatic supervisor
- Intramurals Employee of the Year Jessica Arnds, sport supervisor
- Fitness Employee of the Year Michael Tran, Forge Fitness Centre
- Outstanding Customer Service Award Drew McLenaghan, Lancer Recreation supervisor
- Instructional Award Julie Carunungan, fitness instructor
- Dave West Student Manager of the Year Andrew Anderi, men’s basketball
- Bill Mitchell Student Therapist of the Year Allie Hoegl, women’s volleyball
- Student Marketing Award Eva Ou, Lancer promotions
- Blue & Gold Spirit Award Zach Evans, fan engagement
- Lancer Home Events Employee of the Year Asia Jones, events staff
- Rick Mallat ARS Student Employee of the Year Kevin Wilson, intramurals supervisor
Find more information, including brief biographical sketches of each winner, in the full story, “Lancers honour support staff.”