Faculty, staff, and students honoured University of Windsor faculty members who received awards in the last year at the sixth annual Celebration of Teaching Excellence on Monday, November 14, in the Ambassador Auditorium.
The event, hosted by the Office of the Provost and the Centre for Teaching and Learning, recognized their important contributions to the culture of teaching and learning at the University, including:
- business professor Francine Schlosser and law professor Myra Tawfik, winners of the Innovative Entrepreneurial Education Course Award from the Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship;
- psychology professor Kathryn Lafreniere, winner of the Teacher of the Year award from the University of Windsor Students' Alliance and the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance Teaching Award;
- business professor Martha Reavley, winner of the Excellence in Mentoring Award from the University of Windsor Alumni Association;
- biology professor Dan Mennill, winner of the Alumni Association Award for Distinguished Contributions to University Teaching; and
- Richard Caron of mathematics and statistics, Chitra Rangan of physics, and Robert Schurko of chemistry and biochemistry, inaugural winners of the Faculty of Science’s Roger Thibert Teaching Excellence Award.
GA/TA awards, honouring the contributions of graduate and teaching assistants, went to Paul Moffat, a doctoral candidate in physics; Melanie Santarossa, a recent master’s graduate in creative writing; and psychology students Vanessa Bruce, Laura Krasean and Amanda Marshall.
In addition to recognizing 30 individual honourees, the program featured the presentation of certificates to graduates of the University Teaching Certificate program. A poster session presented the findings and outcomes of projects supported by the Centred on Learning Innovation Fund (CLIF) grants and the annual Windsor-Oakland Teaching and Learning Conference.
Peter Freele of the Centre for Teaching and Learning produced three videos shown to attendees:
- the first introducing the Roger Thibert Teaching Excellence Award and its recipients;
- the second on alumni mentoring award winner Martha Reavley; and
- the third on Dan Mennill, winner of the alumni teaching award.
Freele is currently compiling a video record of Monday’s reception. Watch DailyNews for its appearance on completion.