With donations and pledges of $98,978, the campus campaign for United Way is well on its way to breaking the $100,000 mark for the 10th straight year, co-chair Datta Pillay told supporters Friday at a reception to wrap up the charity’s canvass period.
“We still have a couple of months to exceed last year’s totals,” said Dr. Pillay, a retired biology professor and dean of science.
In addition to a status report on fundraising, the event featured a prize draw for donors.
Anita Bondy, team leader for advanced academic programs in the Office of the Registrar, won an extra day’s vacation and plans to use it as early as next week — she is moving house.
“The timing is great,” she said after her win was announced. “I’m going to ask for Monday off as soon as I get back to the office.”
Other prize winners included:
- Kathleen Behan, an iPad Mini tablet computer;
- Mark Learn, an extra vacation day;
- Romina Oulevey, a six-month campus parking pass;
- Sarah Cats, a one-year membership to the St. Denis Centre;
- Iva Gentcheva and Shae Harasym, three-play subscriptions to the University Players;
- Theresa Whelan, two tickets to the SoCA concert of her choice.
Learn more about the work of the United Way, and how to support it, on the campus campaign website.