Now that local tomatoes and cucumbers are available, it’s the perfect time to prepare a refreshing salad.
Adding a grilled salmon fillet makes the meal complete, says Paolo Vasapolli, executive chef in Food and Catering Services. His recipe calls for long ribbons of cucumber and a purée of flavourful herbs, and feeds four.
Tomato Onion Cucumber Salad with Grilled Salmon and Scallion Cilantro Purée
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- 6 green onions
- 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp of sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 pinch of fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro
- ½ cup of oil
- ¼ teaspoon of lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions roughly chopped
- pinch of cumin
- 4 pcs of 4-5 oz salmon fillet
- ¼ cup of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the tomatoes in half. Using a mandolin or a vegetable peeler, slice the cucumber lengthwise into ribbons. Chop the green onions and combine all. Set aside.
- Place all the purée ingredients in a small food processor and blend everything together, adjust seasoning.
- In the meantime, season the salmon with salt and pepper and heat up a little oil in a frying pan. Once the pan is hot, sear the salmon skin side up first, then cook on both sides.
- Once the salmon is cooked, toss the salad together with the dressing and adjust seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with the basil and thyme leaves.
- Place the salad in the center of the plate, place the salmon on top, and drizzle with the cilantro-scallion purée.
Find more recipes — as well as a place to submit your own — on the Healthy Eating website.