Ticks can spread diseases — including Lyme disease — and they are active April to November, especially in wooded areas and those with high grass and bushes.
In a message sent Monday to UWindsor staff and faculty, Human Resources shares tips to keep yourself protected as you venture outdoors:
- Use insect repellent.
- Avoid walking in tall grass and stay on the centre of paths.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and closed-toed shoes and tuck your pants into your socks.
- Do a full body check on yourself, children, and pets after being outdoors.
- Put your clothes into a dryer on high heat to kill any ticks present.
- Protect your pet with a tick collar or repellent.
Go to the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit website to learn more about shielding yourself from tick bites and what to do if your defences fail.