Mar 22nd, 2022
March is Nutrition Awareness Month. In a message sent Monday to faculty and staff, Human Resources shares tips to keep in mind the next time you are at the grocery store:
- Select dark green and orange vegetables like broccoli, spinach, sweet potato, and squash and buy fresh or frozen vegetables and fruit when possible.
- Grains such as barley, quinoa, and rice are naturally sodium free. Look for “whole grain whole wheat flour,” “whole rye,” “whole barley,” at the beginning of the ingredient list on packaged products.
- Buy skim, 1% or 2% milk or a fortified soy beverage. Compare the Nutrition Facts on packaged foods to help select lower-fat alternatives.
- Buy leaner meats and enjoy alternatives such as beans, lentils, and tofu.
- Choose vegetable oils such as canola, olive, and soybean, and limit butter, margarine, lard, and shortening.