Natalie Ethier is really following in her mother’s footsteps.
A senior at L’Essor high school, she plans a career in education like her mother, Rachelle Ethier, a teacher at Tecumseh’s Ecole St-Antonie. And like her mother, Natalie Ethier is a recipient of a Human Kinetics Book Award – one of 25 given out Thursday to the outstanding student-athlete graduating from each area high school.
“I have always had a love for sports and I always wanted to teach,” said Ethier, an all-star volleyball, basketball and soccer player who also maintains an A-average in her classes.
She plans to study kinesiology at the University of Windsor in September and said she can’t wait.
“I am so excited to start a new chapter in my life, meet new people and do new things!”
Jordan Deneau is also looking forward to coming to campus this fall. He earned top grades in his exercise science and sports management classes at Brennan High School.
“Human kinetics is what I want to do,” he said. “A lot of my friends are in the program and I want to stay in my hometown with all my buddies.”
Captain of Brennan’s football team, he plans to try out at defensive back with the Lancers. He also played on two SWOSSA-champion hockey squads as a Cardinal.
Deneau also boasts a family tradition: both his mother Barb (BScN 1990) and father Steven (BA 1989) are grads.
Here is the full list of 2012 HK Book Award winners:
- Sarah Wong, Academie Ste. Cecile International School
- Steven Kulesza, Assumption College School
- Johny Krahn, Belle River District High School
- Jordan Deneau, F.J. Brennan High School
- Katrina Paty, Cardinal Carter Catholic Secondary School
- Jenna Diamante, Catholic Cental High School
- Jessika Veigli, Essex District High School
- Natalie Ethier, École Secondaire L'Essor
- Christina Mo, J.L. Forster Secondary School
- Michael Mallender, General Amherst High School
- Jenna Wright, Harrow District High School
- Brandon McBride, W.F. Herman Secondary School
- Christian Ieraci, Holy Names High School
- Travis Durocher, Kennedy Collegiate Institute
- Caitlyn Longmuir, Kingsville District High School
- Nicholas Marentette, École Secondaire E.J. Lajeunesse
- Danielle Vandervecht, Leamington District Secondary School
- Kevin Victor, Maranatha Christian Academy
- Alexandra Moore, Vincent Massey Secondary School
- Britney hawkins, Riverside Secondary School
- Anthony Valeri, St. Anne High School
- Derek Murphy, St. Joseph’s Catholic High School
- John Travo, St. Thomas of Villanova Secondary School
- Jordyn Severin, Sandwich Secondary School
- Nadia Green, Walkerville Collegiate Institute
The awards recognize students who have maintained outstanding academic performance and have made exceptional contributions to their schools and communities through athletics, leadership and volunteer activities.
Each honoree received a sports- or health-related book to keep, and their school libraries will receive a copy of Tarnished Rings: The International Olympic Committee and the Salt Lake City Bid Scandal, with a book plate acknowledging the honoured students. UWindsor kinesiology professor Scott Martyn is one of the book’s editors.