Mar 11th, 2013
Matt Walters earned a gold medal in the 1500m and silver in the 3000m runs to lead the Lancer men to a silver-medal team finish at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport track and field championship tournament in Edmonton on the weekend.
Windsor led the point total through the first two days of competition before the Ontario champion Guelph Gryphons pulled ahead to win the team banner. Windsor’s women finished fifth overall, ending their four-year reign as national champions.
Besides Walters’ individual medals, Lancer top-three performances included:
- Gold for Branden Wilhelm and silver for Jesse Drennan in the pentathlon
- Gold for Celine Freeman-Gibb and bronze for Shealyn McLaughlin in shot put
- Gold for Aaron Bowman in the 60m sprint
- Silver for Shealyn McLaughlin and bronze for Ami Schimanski in the weight throw
- Silver for Branden Wilhelm in high jump
- Silver for the men’s 4x400m relay team of Paul LaMarra, Jordan Wand, Alex Ullman and Corey Bellemore
- Silver for the men’s 4x200m relay team of Aaron Bowman, Leonae Nichol, Shane Kelly and Matt McKeegan
Find more information on the Lancer track and field website.