Feb 8th, 2022
Last week’s snowfall prompted Human Resources to remind UWindsor employees to prepare for more of the same and consider conditions before hitting the road.
In a message sent Monday to faculty and staff, the department shares tips for staying safe while driving in winter:
- Ensure that you have a well-stocked winter driving kit, which should include such items as a blanket, extra clothing, First Aid kit, snack bars or other emergency food and water, matches, and emergency candles.
- Clear your car of ice and snow to ensure clear visibility from the driver’s seat. Brush off all the windows, the hood, taillights and headlights.
- Plan your route. Stay on main roads to avoid unplowed and unsalted road conditions.
- Stay composed and controlled when slippery. While driving on ice-covered roads, never brake hard or accelerate while turning a corner.
- Keep a safe distance between vehicles to maintain enough space and time to brake safely.