Personal safety alarms will complement already existing safe measures on campus, says Matt D’Asti, director of Campus Community Police.
The devices are available free to students, staff, and faculty and are designed to be used in an emergency to call for help or to draw attention to an unsafe situation. The compact design allows them to be carried discreetly, easily attaching to any personal item.
“This is just another step we are taking to ensure our campus community is safe,” D’Asti says.
Sponsored by the offices of the President and the V.P. Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, the alarms are available for students to pick up at the following locations:
- Student centre front desk
- Leddy Library front desk
- Campus Community Police main office (2455 Wyandotte St W.)
- Campus Community Police downtown office (300 Ouellette Ave, Rm. 4009)
- WalkSafe main campus (Student Centre 2nd Floor, Rm. 233)
- WalkSafe downtown campus (Armouries building, Rm. 125)
Staff may pick their devices up from the Campus Community Police main office starting today as well.
Student or staff ID must be presented at the point of pick up.Limited quantities are available, with more compact alarms to be distributed in the new year.