Position: Master of Engineering (MEng) Program Mentor
Program Term: May - August 2023 up to 2 hours a week
Volunteer role: Unpaid (a certificate of appreciation and a gift will be awarded upon completion of the term)
Background: The Office of the Associate Dean of Engineering for Professional Programs supports students to achieve their personal, professional and academic goals by providing a group of senior students (the MEng Mentors) to help incoming students adapt to life in Canada and at UWindsor, support successful academic and social growth, and foster personal and professional development and community engagement.
MEng Mentors will be trained to provide support for incoming students via weekly meetings and assist with the MEng Orientation and other campus events. The program is designed to match students in the first semester with experienced Master of Engineering peer mentors who will help newcomers to build confidence, facilitate a transition to Canada, and contribute to a satisfying university experience.
Mentorship is an opportunity to engage with fellow students., develop leadership skills, and give back to the University of Windsor community.
- Develop positive and inclusive rapport with mentees with respect for diversity and discretion
- Structure time for one-to-one support via virtual meetings (15-30 mins per week per mentee)
- Guide and model effective problem-solving and academic study skills
- Provide information and resources to services and contacts on and off campus
- Possess organizational skills and the ability to set work priorities to meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; respond to student challenges using effective problem-solving
- Knowledge of the University of Windsor’s processes, services, and resources
- Commitment to consistent attendance and participation in training, meetings, and events
- Enthusiasm and previous experience supporting others (e.g., mentoring, tutoring, and coaching) is preferred
- Promote mentee attendance of campus events to build community connections
- Attend required training and meetings set by the international student advisor
- Work collaboratively with other members of the MEng Mentor Program
- Complete weekly mentoring logs and communicate all concerns to the international student advisor
- Must be a returning MEng student at the University of Windsor in Spring/Summer 2023 semester
- Adhere to a confidentiality agreement, mentee engagement, training, and attendance
*Preference will be given to returning Mentors in good performance standing
Application Instructions: Please complete this APPLICATION FORM by April 12, 2023, 11:59pm EST
Training sessions will be held on April 24 (morning) and April 27 (afternoon). Details to follow.
PLEASE NOTE: Only those individuals who are selected for an interview will be contacted. We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.