- Plasma Surface Engineering Research Laboratory, 125,000, Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI), (50,000 from Ontario Innovation Trust (OIT))
- Development of a New Electrolytic Plasma Process for Surface Engineering: Fundamental Studies and Applications, Discovery Grant, $88,000, NSERC, 2004 – 2008
- Acquisition of a Nanomechanical Test Instrument, $150,000, NSERC, RTI, 2004-2005
- Nanostructured Self-adaptive Hard Coatings for Dry Machining, 70,000+28,000 in kind, NSERC, CRD-GM, 2004-2006
- Development of a New Coating Manufacturing Process for Automotive Powertrains, 40,100+10,000 in kind, MMO, Sectorial Interest, 2005-2006
- Wear and Corrosion Prevention for Mg Engine Applications, $187,600, OCE, Auto Champion, 2008-2010.
- PVD Coatings and Failure Behaviour under Extremely High Contact Stress Conditions, Discovery Grants, $100,000. NSERC 2009-2014
- Coating Fatigue Tests for AHSS Stamping Applications, Auto/Steel Partnership, ~$70,000, USAMP/DOE, 2009-2011.
- Study on Feasibility of EJPO Coatings for Al Engine Applications, ~$300,000, NSERC CRD with Centerline & Ford, 2010-2014.
- EJPO Coatings for Al Engine Applications, ~$140,000, OCE, 2011-2014
- Surface Modification of Al Alloys for Wear and Corrosion Protection
- Surface Modification of Mg Alloys for Corrosion and Erosion Protection
- Self-adaptive Hard Coatings for Dry Machining
- Localized Surface Hardening of Stamping Dies
- PVD Hard Coatings for Stamping
- Nanomechanical and Nanotribological Behaviors of Nanostructured Materials
- Advanced Surface Engineering for Alternative Fuel Engine and Fuel Cell
Projects under development:
- Smart Materials and Coatings
- Coatings for Thermal Management and Nanocatalysts