Career Development in FAHSS
(For advisors, instructors and staff)
Advisors, instructors, and departmental staff can play an integral role in assisting our students in their future careers. Sharing career development opportunities are beneficial for your department and our students. Personalized recommendations from UWindsor faculty and staff is a critical communication strategy.
Here are a few things you can recommend either as an instructor, advisor, family member or friend that can greatly impact a student’s experience at the University of Windsor:
- Introduce the UWindsor Experience Maps. learn.uwindsor.ca/program-listing or experience.uwindsor.ca/experiencemaps (PDF)
- Introduce students to Career Development & Experiential Learning and the UWindsor career model. Encourage participation in workshops, career advising appointments, mock interviews, employer events, Ignite, and VIP-Community Service Learning. Integrating career development messaging during advising appointments will increase student participation, help their job readiness, and academic engagement. www.uwindsor.ca/cdel
- Introduce students to International opportunities:
- Suggest courses with international travel opportunities (within or beyond FAHSS)
- Encourage students (and their friends) to take a course with an experiential learning activity. Be sure to announce any future courses with an experiential learning activity long before registration begins. www.uwindsor.ca/fahss/945/information-students
- The UWindsor Co-curricular Record is a way for students to document their activities and to learn about how they can be more active within the UWindsor community. www.uwindsor.ca/ccr
- The Lead Scholars Program will give medals to FAHSS at graduation who meet the criteria for student engagement. www.uwindsor.ca/fahss/online-advising/612/lead-scholars
- Providing resources for students to complete experiential learning projects can increase experiential learning opportunities. This may happen through an ad hoc fund in your department, the Student Life Enhancement Fund, through the Centre for Teaching and Learning (for conference travel), through student groups, the UWSA, and sometimes conferences offer scholarships for students to attend.
Please see the FAHSS EL Hub www.uwindsor.ca/fahss/925/fahss-experience-hub
or contact the FAHSS Experiential Learning Development Officer:
Tim Brunet, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 2025.