UWindsor Together: Student Mental Health and Remote Learning Services
students speaking to professors


1. I've been placed on Academic Probation. What should I do? 

If one or both of your averages (cumulative and/or major) is below the minimum required for continuation in a program, you will be placed on Academic Probation.  If your averages do not improve to the minimum standard by the end of the Winter Term, your record will be referred to the Academic Standing Committee for review.  The Committee will then make a decision regarding whether you will be allowed to continue in your program of study.

If you are placed on Academic Probation, you should talk to an Academic Advisor in your home department.  You may also make an appointment with the Office of the Associate Dean, Academic and Student Success, Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. 

  • Students placed an academic probation may be encouraged to do the following:
  • Seek help from your professor
  • Repeat courses for which you received a final grade below 60%
  • Drop course by the Voluntary Withdrawal date if you failed or barely passed the midterm
  • Register for the PASS Program

2. I am not satisfied with my final grade that I received for a course. What should I do? 

If you are not satisfied with a grade you receive in any course, you should first discuss it with the individual instructor who assigned the grade.  You should make every effort to resolve the issue with the instructor by outlining the reasons for your dissatisfaction and attempt to come to a mutually agreeable resolution.

If you are unable to resolve the problem with your instructor, you may consider formally appealing your grade based on 'Incorrect Evaluation' or 'Procedural Irregularity'. Students who wish to appeal a grade in a course must submit a Grade Appeal - Administrative through UWinsite Student no later than three weeks after the final grade has been posted.  A letter of rationale and supporting documentation must accompany the appeal form along with an administrative fee of $20 (this fee will be refunded if your appeal is successful).  

Please note that in cases of Incorrect Evaluation, a copy of the assignment(s) in question should also be attached when submitting the appeal.


3. There are extenuating circumstances that make it difficult for me to complete all requirements in a course.  What are my options?

If you wish to receive consideration on matters affecting your academic performance based on medical, compassionate, or extenuating circumstances, you should communicate with your course instructor(s) as soon as possible.  In such cases, an instructor may choose to handle the matter informally.

If an instructor does not choose to handle the matter informally, you may make a formal request for consideration based on medical, compassionate or extenuating circumstances.  This request is made through UWinsite Student (Grade Appeal - Medical/Compassionate) and should be accompanied by a letter of rationale, along with supporting documents (such as a medical note).  

In the case of an informal or formal request, the instructor may grant an "aegrotat" grade on the basis of term work completed or may assign an “incomplete” grade indicating what further work is required and the deadline by which such work must be completed. In general, an instructor will not consider "aegrotat" unless the student has completed at least 60% of the requirements in the course.  If you have not yet completed 60% of the course requirements, it is recommended that you speak with the individual course instructor and discuss alternative options for completing the course.

Please note that in cases where a formal request for Aegrotat Standing is approved, the AEG notation will be recorded on your transcript without a corresponding percentage grade.

4. I received notice that I am Required to Withdraw.  Now what?

Students who are not making progress in their studies may be asked to withdraw from the University.  Students who are RTW (Required to Withdraw) for the first time will be required to withdraw for a period of one year.  Students who are RTW for the second time will be required to leave.

Students in FAHSS who are in their first year of study and who are Required to Withdraw may be eligible for Fresh Start.  The Fresh Start program is an alternative to withdrawing that provides ongoing academic advising and support and workshops to develop stronger study skills and strategies.

1. I'm having problems with my courses.  What should I do?

Speak with the instructor(s) of the course(s) that you are having difficulty in.  They may be able to provide you with some guidance as to what approach you should take to the course, study habits, tips, etc. 

Make an appointment to talk with someone in the Office of the Associate Dean, Academic and Student Success, FAHSS (Ext 2029 or deanarts@uwindsor.ca).

Take advantage of the various services available on campus that offer academic support such as the Student Success and Leadership Centre, the Writing Support Desk or Student Accessibility Services.

First and second year students may also consider joining a Reach Session for academic support.  Reach Peers are senior-level students who can provide guidance relating to: study skills, time management, student life, campus resources.

2. I have concerns about the way my course is being taught.  What should I do?

The first step would be to schedule a meeting with the instructor of the course to discuss these concerns.  If this discussion does not prove fruitful, the next step would be to schedule a meeting with the Department Head to discuss these concerns. 


1. My instructor has accused me of academic misconduct. What do I do?

Instructors are required through University policy to report all suspected incidents of academic misconduct, which may include plagiarism and cheating

The following steps are taken in cases where Academic Misconduct is suspected:

  • Instructor assigns a final grade of Incomplete; please note that the instructor should not assign a grade of 0 (zero) as penalty for the suspected misconduct;
  • Instructor completes the documentation for Academic Misconduct and forwards this to the Head of the Department;
  • The Head reviews the documentation and forwards it to the Associate Dean’s Office;
  • Associate Dean reviews the complaint and applies an appropriate sanction, if deemed necessary

If accused of Academic Misconduct, you may be invited to meet with the Instructor and/or with the Department Head and will be invited to meet with the Associate Dean. You may wish to have a support person with you for these meetings.

1. How can I provide feedback about my courses and instructors?

SET (Student Evaluation of Teaching) is administered during the last two weeks of each term and gives students the opportunity to provide feedback concerning a course and their course instructor.  It is important that you complete this evaluation to express your opinion about course content, requirements and expectations as well as to evaluate instructor effectiveness.  These evaluations are used by the Department and the Faculty to make decisions regarding future course offerings and course content as well as instructor assignments.

You may also provide comments about specific courses or course instructors to the Head of the Department and can do so by making an appointment.

1. How many exams will I have to take in each course?

The number of exams/tests depends on each individual course instructor.  This information should be specified, along with the worth value of the exam/test, in the course syllabus you receive in each course at the beginning of each term.

2. When and where do I take exams?

Only final exams are scheduled by the Registrar’s Office.  The final exam schedule and location of final exams will be posted on the Office of the Registrar website a few weeks prior to Final Exam Week and will be indicated in your class schedule through UWinsite Student; make sure to check the website for date and location and review this information with course instructors.

A student who is scheduled to write three invigilated final examinations in one calendar day may apply to have one examination rescheduled on an alternate examination day.

Dates of midterm exams and other tests are scheduled by individual course instructors and usually take place in the classroom where the class normally meets.  Make note of these dates and be prepared!  You may have more than one exam on the same day or in the same week across different courses.

3. What if I miss an exam?

The Exam Policy of the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences states that:

No make-ups are allowed for scheduled midterms or final exams without acceptable and verifiable medical (or equivalent compassionate) reason. Acceptable reasons might include hospital stays, serious illness, family emergencies (ie. accidents, illnesses, death) or similar circumstances. Normally, written documentation stating specific reasons and dates is required.  Arrangements for make-up exams, if allowed by the instructor,must be made as soon as possible.  The instructor establishes the date and format for make-up exams, which will usually differ from the original exam.

The most important thing with this policy statement is that it is up to the discretion of each individual course instructor whether or not to allow you to write a make-up exam, when it will occur, and what format it will take.

If you miss an exam, you should:

  • Notify the course instructor immediately – email, leave a phone message or see in person.
  • Provide the reason for missing the exam.  You may need to provide supporting documentation such as a physician’s note, police report, or death certificate.
  • Ask to have the opportunity to write a make-up exam.  Remember that it is up to your instructor’s discretion whether or not to grant you this opportunity.
  • If granted, your instructor may have you write a make-up exam that is scheduled by the Department.  This is to accommodate students who have missed exams and to better coordinate missed exams across various courses.  You instructor should provide you with the date, time and location of this make-up exam.  Don’t push your luck by telling your instructor that the make-up exam time isn’t good for you because you have other commitments.  Make sure you can attend.
  • Thank instructors for their time and understanding.

Note:  Your instructor may require that you complete the Verification of Illness or Injury form in cases where you have missed an exam due to illness or medical emergency. 


1. How do I know what grade I got on a test or assignment?

Your instructor should provide you with all grades that you receive on tests or assignments. Typically, notification is done by securely and confidentially posting grades on Blackboard course sites or, alternatively, by returning your test and assignment papers with your grade indicated.  

2. How do I know what my final grade is in a course?​​​​

Final grades are generally posted to UWinsite Student two to three weeks after final exams are finished.  You can check your final grades by logging on to UWinsite Student.

Final grades (unofficial) may also be posted through your Blackboard course sites.  Review each final grade.  If there is any discrepancy between the grade you expected and the grade you received, notify the course instructor immediately.

3. Will I get my exams/tests/assignments/papers back?

It is up to each individual course instructor whether or not to return your exam/test/assignment/paper.  Your instructor may hand these back in class so that you can review comments, or may hold them for you to pick up at their offices.  Instructors may also leave graded exams and assignments with teaching or graduate assistants for you to pick up.

Regardless of whether your exams and assignments are returned to you, you have the right to review all exam, test, assignment and paper results and to discuss these results with your instructor.  Take the opportunity to do so by scheduling an appointment with your instructor.

1. What is a double/combined major? 

A major is the primary area of study chosen.  You may opt to pursue a double or combined major, which means that you will need to follow the program requirements for both major areas of study.  You should talk with an Academic Advisor about selecting courses that will fulfill the requirements of a combined degree.

2. What if my major is undeclared? 

Students in FAHSS without a declared major participate in the Discovery Program which requires that they take the Effective Writing courses in the Fall and Winter terms as well as the GART-1200 (Understanding the Contemporary World) course in the Fall term.  

Understanding the Contemporary World explores the connections between social and political contexts and various cultural forms such as fine art, literature, music, and popular culture with the aim of exploring various disciplines and subject areas while helping students develop their academic skills.  Additional First Year support is provided in small tutorials to foster study skills and goal-setting and to provide information about campus resources.

3. What is a minor? 

A minor is offered in the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences in the following subject areas:  

  • Anthropology
  • Anthrozoology
  • Arabic Studies
  • Art History/Visual Culture
  • Communication, Media & Film
  • Dramatic Art
  • English Language & Literature
  • Family and Social Relations
  • Forensic and Cultural Anthropology
  • French Studies
  • Greek and Roman Studies
  • History
  • Jewish Studies
  • Latin American Studies
  • Modern Languages
  • Music
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Studies of Sexuality
  • Social Justice
  • Sociology
  • Women’s and Gender Studies
  • Work and Employment Issues

Each subject area has its own specific minor requirements that must be fulfilled before applying for Minor approval.

1. What are the requirements for my program of study?

Program requirements for each degree program can be found in the online Undergraduate Calendar. Here you will also find courses and course descriptions, as well as University regulations. 

All students in study programs within FAHSS, other than English majors, are required to complete the following two courses, ideally in their first year:

GART-1500   Effective Writing I

GART-1510   Effective Writing II

These courses are intended to build the foundations for writing academically in arts, humanities, and social science disciplines.

Students majoring in English are not required to take GART-1510 (Effective Writing II).  Students in the Interdisciplinary Arts and Science program are exempt from the Academic Writing requirements.

2. Who can I ask about my program requirements? 

Departmental Academic Advisors

To review program requirements, you should make an appointment to speak to an Academic Advisor in your home department.  Academic Advisors can assist you in understanding the requirements of your degree program, help make sense of your Advisement Report and can also guide you in choosing the right courses to fulfill these requirements.

Student Success and Leadership Centre

Advisors at the Student Success and Leadership Centre can also assist with developing your degree and education plans by helping you to review your academic progress and to understand your Degree Audit.

Advisors at the Student Success and Leadership Centre will further assist students with:

  • Choosing or changing program or major
  • Understanding degree audit and degree requirements
  • Understanding academic regulations and procedures
  • Adding, dropping or withdrawing from a course
  • Developing a plan to deal with academic difficulties
  • Reviewing academic progress
  • Referral to other relevant campus services

Academic Advisement Report (AAR)

You may also obtain an Academic Advisement Report via UWinsite Student by clicking on the Academic Progress tile.  This report will provide you with information about your degree program requirements, tell you what requirements you have fulfilled to date, and tell you what requirements still need to be completed.

It is recommended that you regularly review your Advisement Report as well as your transcript to keep track of your academic progress.

1. How do I register for courses? 

All students register for classes through UWinsite Student.

You can add or drop courses through UWinsite Student up until the 10th day of classes for Fall and Winter terms and up until the 5th day of classes for Intersession and Summer Session. You do not require, except in some circumstances, instructors’ approval to add or drop a course.

If you are unable to register for a course via UWinsite Student, this may mean that you have not met certain requirements necessary.  Some courses have prerequisites that must be completed, some courses are restricted to certain students, and some courses may require that you have reached a certain status or standing.

These requirements must be completed before you are able to register for the course.  However, in certain circumstances, you may be able to register for the course with the permission of the instructor.  You should make an appointment with the instructor and discuss with her/him the possibility of taking the course, even though certain requirements have not been met.  The instructor has the discretion to grant you Class Permission, allowing you to register.  Please keep in mind, however, that instructors are not required to grant permission to students to add a course that is full or where the student requesting to be signed in has not met the necessary requirements.

Circumstances that involve late adds, time conflicts, overload, or audit require the completion of the Course Add Form: Special Circumstances Request.

If you decide to drop a course after the initial 10-day period at the beginning of the semester, you must do so before the Voluntary Withdrawaldeadline date, which is usually at the beginning of November for the Fall term and the beginning of March for the Winter term. 

2. How do I register for Course Overload? 

Course overload is taking more courses in a term than the usual prescribed number.  In the Fall and Winter terms, this means taking more than 5 courses per term.  In the Intersession and Summer terms, this means taking more than 3 courses per term and more than 5 courses total. 

Students who have major and cumulative averages of 85% or higher may take one course on overload per term.  Students with averages below this must obtain permission for course overload from the Associate Dean, Academic and Student Success.  Please note that approval for course overload will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.

3. What should I do to prepare for my courses? 

Be sure to download and review your semester timetable a week before classes begin.  The timetable should provide information about the course, where it is being held, the instructor’s name, and final exam date and time information.  Because things sometimes change, it is a good idea to review your timetable just before the first week of classes.

You may be able to obtain a copy of the course outline for some courses via a Blackboard course site, a Departmental website or an instructor’s website.   If so, review the outline so that you become familiar with the course expectations and requirements.  

Also, visit the University Bookstore and find out what textbooks are listed for each course.  You may be able to purchase these textbooks and be ready for the first week of classes.  Textbook information may also be included along with the course information provided when you register. 

4. What can I expect from my professors? 

In the first week of classes, you should receive a course syllabus/outline from your instructor in each of the classes you are registered in.  Each course syllabus should contain the following information:  general course information; instructor’s scheduled office hours, office location, phone extension, and email address; list of required textbooks/readings; outline of course content and expected schedule; course requirements (how you are to be evaluated); dates of any midterms, tests, and assignments; general class and university policies.

Be sure to make a note of each instructor’s office location, phone extension, email address, and scheduled office hours.   Your instructors are there to help you, so take advantage of their office hours by visiting them or making an appointment.

Many instructors set up course sites through Blackboard which are accessible to all students registered in a particular course.  They may post course outlines here, assignments, practice tests, or helpful resources.  If an instructor has set up a Blackboard course site, be sure to visit and become familiar with the resources available to you.


Teaching Assistant (T.A.) or Graduate Assistant (G.A.) may be assigned to one (or more) of your courses.  A teaching/graduate assistant is a senior undergraduate student or a graduate student who is assigned to assist students and/or the instructor in various ways.  Teaching assistants may conduct labs, mark assignments/tests, answer questions, etc.  Your instructor should inform you if a teaching assistant has been assigned to your course and should provide information that allows you to contact the T.A., if necessary.


1. What is the difference between a major and cumulative averages? 

Your major average is the average of percentage grades from courses taken toward your major.

Your cumulative average is the average of percentage grades earned from all courses you have taken.

1. What is the uwinCARD? 

The UWinCARD is the official student identification card of the University of Windsor, which serves as an all-in-one card to access a variety of services across campus including:

  • Photocopying
  • Printing
  • Library
  • Recreation
  • Lancer Games
  • Residence Doors
  • Food Purchases
  • Bookstore Purchases
  • Laundry Services

The UWinCARD Office is located at B-07 in the CAW Student Centre (ext 8946) and is accessible Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Please note that one piece of government issued photo identification is required to obtain your UWinCARD. 

2. What is the UWinsite Student? 

UWinsite Student is the University of Windsor's student information system.  

Popular Links:


UWinsite Student Registration Guide

Student Resources

UWinsite Student Key Terms

3. What is BlackBoard? 

Blackboard is a virtual learning environment and course management system. 

Instructors may set up and use a Blackboard course site for any of the following:

  • Make class announcements
  • Guide learning through online lessons
  • Facilitate group work in discussion forums
  • Post lecture notes or PowerPoint presentations
  • Accept assignments and provide confidential feedback
  • Post secure confidential grades


1. What if I decided to drop a course after the initial add/drop period?

​​​​​​​You must voluntarily withdraw from a course that you do not want to take before the Voluntary Withdrawal deadline.  The deadline is usually the first week of November for the Fall term and the first week of March for the Winter term.  Pay careful attention to the deadlines for Voluntary Withdrawal because if you do not withdraw before the deadline, you will remain registered in the class and will be assigned a final grade accordingly by your instructor.