FAQ: I've been placed on Academic Probation. What should I do?

If one or both of your averages (cumulative and/or major) is below the minimum required for continuation in a program, you will be placed on Academic Probation. If your averages do not improve to the minimum standard by the end of the Winter Term, your record will be referred to the Academic Standing Committee for review.  The Committee will then make a decision regarding whether you will be allowed to continue in your program of study.

If you are placed on Academic Probation, you should talk to an Academic Advisor in your home department. You may also make an appointment with the Office of the Associate Dean, Academic and Student Success, Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. 

Students placed an academic probation may be encouraged to do the following:

  • Seek help from your professor
  • Repeat courses for which you received a final grade below 60%
  • Drop course by the Voluntary Withdrawal date if you failed or barely passed the midterm
  • Register for the PASS Program