The recipient of the 2017 Botsford Scholarship, Harrison Priebe, received his award last night at the Ducks on the Roof, in Amherstburg. The David P. Botsford Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a student registered in 3rd or 4th Year Honours History who has a superior academic record and has demonstrated an interest in local area studies.
Harrison received his award from Anita Colley Price, President of the Essex County Historical Society. His name will be added to the memorial plaque that is kept on display in the visitor`s center at Fort Malden in Amherstburg.
Research into the history of St. John the Divine Orthodox church on Droulliard Road in Windsor’s Ford City neighborhood. Harrison documented the construction of the church by parishioners themselves to serve all the Orthodox communities of Windsor. In the 1930s, the church came over time to serve the Russian Orthodox faithful as additional Orthodox churches had been built in Windsor. St. John the Divine was rebuilt after a fire in 1949 when it took the form you see today. Harrison noted that the resilience of the Ford city community when he reports that “Recently, in 2015, St. John the Divine Orthodox Church celebrated its 100th anniversary of Orthodoxy in Windsor. The church is recognized as the ‘Mother Church of Orthodoxy’ in Windsor.”
This research was produced in the third-year history course titled History on the Web taught by Dr. Adam Pole. Harrison’s information on St. John the Divine was incorporated into a larger project entitled “Workers & Worship: A Historic Walking Tour of Ford City, 1913-2016” that celebrated the culture and lived experiences of Windsor’s workers in the early auto industry.