The Secretary to the Head provides secretarial and administrative support to the Department and contributes to the overall effectiveness of the Undergraduate Program and Office of the Department Head.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- First point of contact for undergraduate students; assists in advising students of department policies and undergraduate program matters.
- Compile various undergraduate scholarship and award applications.
- Assists Department Head with teaching load assignments, including necessary paperwork for sessional instructors/overload appointments.
- Assists, coordinates and contributes to the preparation and submission of PDC documentation and forms for the undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Assists with the completion of course proofs each semester and completes changes in timetable forms when adjustments are required.
- Processes student evaluation forms for undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Assists faculty with RTP and Sabbatical applications, NSERC forms, grant applications, undergraduate student payroll forms. Liaises with Assistant to the Dean on RTP and sabbatical matters and coordinates and contributes to timing and documentations for various reports including: NSERC, CEAB and IQAP.
- Maintain/update information on the departmental website, including the posting of GA and Sessional notices.
- Assist in the reconciliation of monthly financial statements and departmental operating account.
- Maintains the Department Head’s calendar and schedules departmental and undergraduate committee meetings.
- Prepares and distributes all required reports, minutes, agendas and correspondence for these meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant administrative experience as it relates to the duties of this position
- Knowledge of academic rules and regulations, Senate by-laws and University policies in relation to undergraduate students & faculty
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with respect to all departmental matters
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with staff, faculty and students and other departments/offices
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including the ability to interact with a diverse student, staff and faculty population
- Ability to work independently and prioritize multiple projects, tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced administrative environment
- Ability to be well organized, accurate and conscientious
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in all situations/interactions
- Ability to take initiative and problem-solve
- Previous work experience with the UWinsite Student or compatible Student Information System Experience working with budgets and the UWinsite Finance or comparable system
- Formal minute-taking experience
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), experience using databases, and Outlook; Typing 40 WPM
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), experience using databases, and Outlook; Typing 40 NWPM
THE FOLLOWING TESTS WILL BE ADMINISTERED:
MS Word (Intermediate), MS Excel (Basic); Typing
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm