The Secretary / Event Coordinator will provide reception, secretarial, and administrative services to support the activities of the Office of the Dean which includes the office of the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Affairs and Associate Dean, Graduate Affairs. The Coordinator also plans, coordinates, and implements a diverse range of on- and off-campus events and community engagement events.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- Provides secretarial and receptionist support by greeting faculty, staff, students, and visitors to the main office; answers in-person, phone and electronic queries or directs those questions to the appropriate area on campus.
- Maintains electronic files.
- Schedules meetings and/or appointments and assist with meeting preparation and follow-up.
- Maintains the office and the Faculty of Science SWAG and supply inventory and attends to minor repairs of office equipment; arranges work order for major repairs.
- Recommend and reserve appropriate venue for events; make arrangements for catering, AV, and other requirements.
- Make travel arrangements and process reimbursements.
- Oversee and coordinate the planning and execution of Faculty of Science events and arranges promotion, decorating, ticket sales, room set up, seating arrangements, financial arrangements (online payments), etc. for each event.
- Assist in developing and distributing promotional materials and updating websites and social media.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- Diploma in office administration or experience providing administrative support as it relates to the duties of the position
- Experience organizing and running events/conferences including administering the budget for events
- Excellent organizational, attention to detail, multitasking skills with the ability to prioritize tasks with accuracy
- Possess a high degree of professionalism, tact, and communicate with Faculty, Staff, and Students in an appropriate manner
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required in dealing with a broad range of diverse individuals including Students, Faculty, and Staff in a professional manner
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in all situations and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Experience working with UWinsite Student or compatible system, proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) as well as use of electronic mail and the Internet
- Knowledge of UWinsite Finance or compatible system as it pertains to this position
- Ability to work flexible hours and/or occasional overtime during the week and/or the weekends
- Knowledge of one or more Science disciplines
THE FOLLOWING TESTS WILL BE ADMINISTERED:
MS Word (Basic); MS Excel (Basic); Typing (30 NWPM)
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 4:00pm
(Up to a maximum of 24 hrs per week – work schedule may vary)