1) What are my intended learning outcomes for the course or program?
2) Are there any disciplinary constraints to be aware of (e.g. accreditation from professional bodies, need for lab work, etc.)
3) What is my teaching philosophy and approach? What kinds of interactions do I prefer with my students?
4) What is my experience with teaching and how open am I at this point in my career to exploring new options?
5) Who are my learners - what do I know about the audience of the course
6)What support is available to me for this initiative at the departmental, faculty, and institutional levels:
- Is this something that has been requested or is it my own personal interest?
- Is there funding available to help with the design and development phase?
- Is there technical and pedagogical expertise available to help?
- Do I need any ongoing support to effectively deliver the course?
- Is there specific technology I need to be successful?
- Is this an existing course being redesigned, or is it a brand new course?
- Is there a problem I am trying to solve with this design/redesign?
- Do I have time to develop this course?
- How will potential students find out about my course?
- How will I evaluate the success of the course and improve it?