YuJa allows you to create, upload, share your videos and other media, and have your videos auto captioned for accessibility. There is an online easy-to-use video editor and a downloadable desktop version called Software Capture. YuJa is available for all campus users. There is also a YuJa Mobile App which is available for both Android and iOS devices, tablets, and smartphones.
Logging into YuJa through a browser (2 steps)
Log in directly through the YuJa website (UWinID and password required) at http://uwindsor.yuja.com
- From the Login Using the drop-down menu, select the University of Windsor Single-Sign-On. Click the Login button.
- When prompted, enter your IT username and password, then click Sign In. You may have to authenticate with multi-factor authentication. (Your YuJa account will be provisioned as a student account upon your first login.)
(Instructors - Important Note: Direct access to the YuJa tool within Blackboard courses is restricted to Instructors and when accessing that way, instructor accounts will then be provisioned. See steps below. If instructors wish access to YuJa and are not using Blackboard, please submit a Service Request and your account will be converted to an instructor level access.)
A YuJa account is not required if you are simply viewing a video unless the author has requested that you authenticate first.
Accessing YuJa through Blackboard
YuJa for Instructors
Instructors can add access to the YuJa tool and associated materials to their Blackboard site.
Syncing your Course site to YuJa
In order for you to have a synchronized class list between Blackboard and YuJa, course users need to connect to YuJa from Blackboard's LTI interface. This can be done from two locations. Instructors can add a link to the YuJa tool off of their menu for themselves and students to synchronize their access (see Step 3 below). This menu option will bring a user to their own YuJa interface page, but it will also notify YuJa that the user has connected from your Blackboard course site. The other location is through accessing a YuJa Gradable item (quiz) from your course site (see Step 1 below). That will enable the YuJa Quiz to push grades one-way from YuJa to the Grade Centre for students completing the quiz in YuJa.
1. Adding a Quiz or Adding Media in Content Area
To add a video to your course site from within a Content Area, select Build Content -> choose YuJa Media Chooser from the Mashups section and select your previously uploaded to YuJa material or Browse to add content directly (see image below).
To create and add a video quiz to your Blackboard site, which comes with an accompanying Grade Centre column for results, select Build Content ->choose YuJa Gradable, then configure your settings with the Edit menu (see image below).
Note: Quizzes have to be prepared in YuJa before they are available to choose within Blackboard
2. Share a Link to YuJa Media
Share a link directly to a specific video or another file from YuJa using a Web Link from the menu or within a Content Area or utilize your course's channel to publish and distribute videos. Find the shareable link in YuJa when you hover over the video and select the More option from the menu. Then scroll down to Links.
3. Adding YuJa to your Course Menu
Using this option will offer the user in your site direct access to their own YuJa media interface, not direct access to the YuJa channel for your class. This would be useful for when instructors have a video assignment and you want to provide a quick way for your students to access their videos or media they have in YuJa. When an instructor accesses this link from the menu, they will see their YuJa interface.
Adding YuJa to the course menu -> "+" Tool Link -> Give it a title such as "YuJa" and select "YuJa Media" from the drop-down list
When you access YuJa from Blackboard, you will get there through a Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) interface (see below):
YuJa has a 24/7 support site with articles, videos, chat, and location to request support through a direct ticket at support.yuja.com. If your question is of a nature that only applies to UWindsor, please contact IT Services using a TeamDynamix ticket and include YuJa in your description. If you would like a consultation on best practices for using YuJa in your courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will set up a time to work with you.
Below are links to the steps and requirements on the YuJa official documentation site you will need to create a video from your system (note - clicking links will open a new browser window).
Creating a Video on a Mac
- System requirements for Software Capture on an Apple
- Overview, (all steps - brief)
- Downloading the Software Capture for Apple
- Logging in to Software Capture for Apple
- Creating a new recording (full)
- Live Stream settings
- Live Streaming - more details
Creating a Video on a PC
- System Requirements for Software Capture on a PC
- Installing the Software Capture for PC Application
- Logging into the Software Capture for PC Application
- Creating a recording with the Software Capture for PC Application
- Making audio and video selections for the video creation
- Using the annotation toolbar in Software Capture for PC
- Live streaming from the Software Capture for PC application
- Advanced Settings - can be found on the YuJa site
Using the Video Editor Online
View a video tutorial (2:49) on how to use the web browser video editor
YuJa allows four different ways to share your media. View a short video on how to use the sharing options.
Share a Link
Access your video you wish to share in YuJa, hover over it and you will see a menu appear on the right. Click the "More" option to reveal the menu containing the "Links" option. There, you will see embedding code or a direct link.
Important Note - the source of the video will still dictate its level of shareability i.e. if you imported a link to a video into your YuJa account and the link was originally from Stream where campus users are required to sign in, that will still occur with this shared link. If you wish users beyond campus to view the video, we recommend you download your video from Stream to your local computer then upload the video directly to YuJa. Then you will have complete control over the shareability and make it publicly viewable beyond a campus sign-in.
Directly to a specific user (with your choice of level of access)
Publish into a course media channel
View this short video (1:36) on using media channels
Directly in Blackboard through the YuJa Media chooser
Instructors can embed content in their courses from the Content Area in Blackboard
Creating a Video Quiz in YuJa
- A YuJa video quiz can be used to insert questions into your video lecture.
- Video quizzes are graded automatically unless short answer questions are used.
- The number of times a video quiz can be taken by a student can be limited or unlimited.
- YuJa recommends that students do not attempt video quizzes in Safari due to occasional problems that will result in the grade not being recorded. Chrome or Firefox are recommended.
- Access YuJa from a Blackboard Content Area – LTI Integration (details below) or sign in at http://uwindsor.yuja.com
This article covers:
- Setting up a video quiz
- Posting a video quiz
- Marking a video quiz
Setting up a video quiz
- Visit the Quick Start guide for instructors or Content owners to create your recording or to upload your video to YuJa.
- In the YuJa web interface (accessed from the YuJa Video Platform tool link from your Blackboard course menu), find the video to which you would like to add a quiz. Hover over the video and select More...
- Select Quizzes from the left menu, then select Create Quiz.
- Press the play button to start the video and navigate to the time for the first question.
- Select Add Question under the video player. The video will pause automatically while you create your question.
- Select the desired question type. All question types except short answer are automatically graded.
- Assign a point value, enter the question text, add a hint (optional), and supply a list of answer options (if applicable). There is a minimum of two answer options, but you can add more with the Add Option button. Select the checkbox to the left of the correct answer(s).
- When ready, select Save.
- Repeat steps 4 to 8 as required to add additional questions. Questions can be edited by selecting one from the Question List.
- Enter a name for the quiz in the Enter Quiz Name box. This will be the title displayed in Blackboard.
- Select Settings to adjust the Quiz settings:
- You can Disable Fast Forwarding.
- You can also select Provide Answer Right Away which allows the student to see the answer before submitting the question. You can also limit the number of attempts.
- Select which grade is entered into the Blackboard Grade Center.
- Select Save to confirm your settings changes.
- Once ready, Save your quiz. There is no need to publish the quiz within YuJa.
Posting a video quiz
In Blackboard, navigate to the course content section where you would like to post the video quiz.
To post a YuJa Video Quiz in Blackboard, it must be done through Build Content -> YuJa Gradable. It will not work via the YuJa Media Chooser from the Text Editor tool.
You will then be prompted to launch the LTI tool for YuJa.
From the Media Chooser once you arrive in YuJa select the Quizzes tab and select your quiz. This will create a link for your students in Blackboard as well as a Blackboard Grade Center column for the quiz.
Click on the Edit chevron to access the Edit menu.
Adjust the Points Possible for the quiz. The default is 100 and that is what the Grade Centre column will be calculated at unless you change the value. Add additional details about the quiz under description or add attachments.
Marking a video quiz
- The Blackboard Grade Center column for video quizzes can be hidden from students and edited in the same manner as other Grade Center columns.
- If your quiz does not contain any short answer questions, the grade will be automatically calculated and posted.
- If your quiz does contain a short answer question:
Go back to the YuJa web interface (accessed from the YuJa Video Platform tool link from your Blackboard course menu).
Select the menu (the dots in the top right), then select Usage & Analytics.
Select Grade Book from the left menu.
From the Select a group drop-down box, select your course name.
From the Select a quiz drop-down box, select the relevant quiz name.
Select Get Result.
At the bottom of this page, select Grade Now to assign a pass/fail grade to each short answer.
Access the Detailed Breakdown by student if you wish to see per question responses.
For any additional questions, visit support.yuja.com or reach out to email@example.com.
Adapted from Trent University YuJa-Video Quiz resource.
Features Available from the "More" menu item
Getting started with Yuja (Students)
YuJa allows you to create, upload, share your videos and other media, and have your videos auto captioned for accessibility. There is an online easy to use video editor and a mobile app. It is available for all campus users. A YuJa account is not required if you are simply viewing a video unless the author has requested that you authenticate first. After you have created content using the video editor, you can share your work through links to the media you've created or in channels that you have access to.
Logging into YuJa
Access YuJa by going directly to the website https://uwindsor.yuja.com (UWinID and password required) or access content your instructor wishes you to see through your Blackboard site.
- From the Login Using the drop-down menu, select the University of Windsor Single-Sign-On. Click the Login button (see image below).
- When prompted, enter your IT username and password, then click Sign In. You may have to authenticate with multi-factor authentication. (Your YuJa account will be provisioned upon your first login as a student account.)
Viewing and Uploading Videos:
No software installation is required if you are viewing a video. Captions can be accessed by clicking the CC icon in the viewer.
Other features are also visible when clicking the Sidebar icon in the media player. One of the handy options within the Sidebar (see image below) is the Notes section where you can add notes for yourself when viewing the video and further down the menu is the option to download those notes.
If you would like to upload a video, follow these steps:
- Choose Manage Media at the top of the screen.
- Drag-and-drop files into the Platform from your Desktop or file browser. The upload will begin automatically. You can have more than one file uploading simultaneously, but they have to be of the same file type.
Recording videos using YuJa Video Capture software
If you wish to create a recording on your computer (e.g. create a screencast of what is happening on your screen or record a narrated PowerPoint presentation), you will need to download and install the YuJa Video Capture Software.
If you are using a personal computer, or have administrative rights on your PC or Mac, log in to YuJa, then click on Create Recording. Click Download to get the software package.
Once you have installed the application, you will be able to create recordings:
Sharing your Videos:
Direct Links enable you to share media with anyone, including individuals outside of the university without UWindsor accounts.
Using the Software Capture for PC Application
Student Sharing & Publishing
Creating Quizzes in YuJa and Deploying in Blackboard
Using the Online Video Editor in YuJa
Using YuJa to Store Blackboard Collaborate Recordings