UWindsor Together: Student Mental Health and Remote Learning Services

Community Protective Equipment and Personal Protective Equipment

Clothing or equipment such as non-medical masks and face coverings are intended to reduce the spread of infection in the community, therefore, the University refers to these as Community Protective Equipment (CPE).  The use of CPE is another measure that can be used to help protect the University community.  The use of CPE does not eliminate the need for physical distancing practices, hand hygiene, or proper respiratory etiquette.

It is strongly recommended that eye protection such as a face shield, safety glasses, goggles or equivalent, as well as a 3-ply procedural mask be worn in settings where a greater risk of transmission is present.

Using the Hierarchy of Controls model as listed above, engineering and administrative control measures for COVID-19 must be first considered before using CPE or Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).  Health care providers on campus will follow the appropriate practices as directed by the Ontario Ministry of Health for Healthcare Settings. 

Workers are to follow University CPE/PPE requirements as necessary, including the information and instruction provided on proper use, storage, care, and disposal.

As recommended by the Government of Canada, a mask or face covering can be homemade or purchased, and should:
  • be 3-ply procedural mask
  • or 2 layers of a tightly woven material fabric, such as cotton or linen + filter
    ◦ The third (middle) layer should be a filter-type fabric, such as non-woven polypropylene fabric
  • be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose, mouth and chin without gaping
  • allow for easy breathing
  • fit securely to the head with ties or ear loops
  • be comfortable and not require frequent adjustments
  • be changed as soon as possible if damp or dirty
  • maintain its shape after washing and drying

For more information on the use of masks, please visit:

The procurement of University-issued CPE and PPE will be coordinated centrally and made available through the Chemical Control Centre. The University will provide workers with CPE and PPE as required. Health and Safety can be contacted for guidance on appropriate PPE requirements.

PPE Order Form

CCC Stock Item Order Form

Updated February 1, 2021