FAQ Site Banner with Big Question Mark

Frequently Asked Questions


It is important to recognize when you are having difficulties and seek help as soon as possible. If you are having a hard time performing your usual daily routine, adjusting to changes you have recently experienced or something has been bothering you for a while, it is probably good to see someone.

Often times, talking to a trained professional helps and counselling can provide you with the support you need.

Yes, for registered full-time or part-time students.

Student Counseling Centre - a free centre where students from across campus can walk-in to make an appointment to talk to a professional therapist.

Peer Support Centre - a free drop-in centre where students from across campus can find a supportive peer to talk to. It’s a safe and inclusive space where trained peer support volunteers offer peer counselling to students. No professional therapists work at this location.

The Student Counselling Centre provides crisis intervention and short-term therapy services.

The Psychological Services and Research Centre is the training centre for the university's Psychology graduate students and may provide longer-term services.

Students are referred to PSRC via the Student Counselling Centre, as appropriate and as per space availability.

Please contact Please contact PSRC for more information about their services, at 326 Sunset Avenue.

At least one partner must be a registered student with the University of Windsor in order for couples counselling to be an option. Please make an individual session first to talk with a therapist further about this. 

Sometimes, part of the process of therapy is learning to communicate and work with your therapist.

For example, if you don't think the therapy is going in the direction you would like, it is best to discuss this directly with your therapist, who can then change their interventions accordingly.

In the rare cases where it is determined that there is not a good match between student and therapist, a change to a new therapist can be provided. 

Generally, students are assigned to an available therapist that fits with their schedule.

Occasionally a student may request a male or female therapist specifically due to the nature of their presenting problem (e.g., assault) and accommodations are made for this.   

Generally, your subsequent appointments at the centre will be with the same therapist you saw for your initial appointment. Part of the process of counselling is the relationship you develop with your therapist.

Unfortunately, we offer service only in English.

However, our therapists are diverse with different backgrounds and training in multicultural sensitivity. Based on your level of language proficiency and need, staff may be able to refer you elsewhere if necessary. 

My Student Support Program (MySSP) provides free confidential counselling by licensed counsellors in 35+ languages. Access counselling 24/7 via call or text by downloading the MySSP App or call 1-844-451-9700. 

Psychologists and other counsellors at SCC do not prescribe medication. One option for students interested in pursuing a medication evaluation is to make an appointment with a physician at Student Health Services.

Students may request letters or certificates for various reasons such as for academic consideration or to seek accommodations at Student Disability Services.

Please advise your therapist at the beginning of the appointment if you are requesting such a document.

Generally, letters are only provided if you are an ongoing client at the SCC.

SCC charges a $10 fee for letters and medical certificates. This fee must be paid prior to receipt of the letter. Please discuss the fee with your therapist or with the secretary. 

Peer Support Centre - a free drop-in centre where students from across campus can find a supportive peer to talk to. It’s a safe and inclusive space where trained peer support volunteers offer peer counselling to students. No licensed therapists work at this location, the volunteers are University of Windsor students who have gone through extensive training to better enable them to give support to their peers.

Located in Room 291, 2nd Floor CAW Student Centre

Womxn’s Centre- a free safe space and welcoming environment for people of all backgrounds and expressions. As an actively pro-choice, feminist space, the Womxn’s Centre provides guests with resources and information, as well as a positive, supporting environment and redirection to more specific resources if required. Their goal is to support all women, educate, ensure accessibility to all women, and to eliminate myths, stereotypes, and ignorance in the community.

Located in Room 208, 2nd Floor CAW Student Centre

Student Health Services- if you are in need of prescription drugs, are having issues with your vision, are seeking dental services, or are looking to see a practitioner (massage, chiropractor, physiotherapy, psychology/MSW, etc.) then you can go to the Student Health Clinic. All full time undergraduate students taking 4 or more credits have a health and dental plan included in their tuition fees, unless they have opted out by showing that they have other comparable coverage from elsewhere. The plan policy year is from September 1st to August 31st

Located in room Room 242 of the CAW Student Centre

Wellness Groups are an opportunity to learn from the experiences of others, receive support and feedback, and address issues in a supportive environment with peers who can relate to your experience. You get to decide what, when, and how much you want to share with the group. Group leaders are there to facilitate conversation and ensure a safe, confidential, and supportive environment. No judgement allowed! Learn more about Wellness Groups and common myths about group therapy here.

If you cannot find your question answered below, please contact us at scc@uwindsor.ca or by our number, (519) 253-3000 EXT. 4616. 

We look forward to hearing from you and helping you make the most out of your University of Windsor career.