There are 11 units within the Student Experience portfolio and approximately 85 staff not counting any of the amazing students that work for us. There’s a ton of work going on at any one time, but we do have priorities that we’re concentrating on to make the student experience better.
In 2020-21, here’s what’s getting our attention:
- Deliver a highly professional, informative and fun virtual Head Start program.
- Deliver Welcome Week virtually. As much as possible, maintain the competitive element of our program.
- Make progress on the following capital projects: a) refurbishment of the CAW Student Centre seating area; b) the creation of a wellness centre that co-locates Health Services and the Student Counselling Centre; c) secure new space for Aboriginal Education Centre, Turtle Island.
- Begin work on developing a new multi-year work plan for the Aboriginal Education Centre. Workplan ready for 21-22.
- Start UWindor’s esports program Lancer Gaming. Create an arena for the program and have one competitive team up and running (likely League of Legends).
- Student Experience will move onto implementing five new recommendations from the Student Mental Health Strategy
- Implement the Mental Health Initiatives Fund, a $24,000 fund that enables staff, faculty, and staff to deliver small wellness projects that will improve student mental health and wellness outcomes.
- Director and manager level team members to complete anti-Black racism training that will set the foundation for other learning. Investigate, design deliver an in-house anti-Black racism training for the broader Student Experience team.
- Deliver a reduced residence program that ensures student safety combine with an enjoyable experience that helps to develop the full student.
- Continue with efforts to develop and deliver a new student development curriculum for Residence students
- Deliver UWindsor’s leadership programming online. Instead of conferences, Student Success and Leadership will implement a series of shorter, one-time leadership activities that are easier for students to participate in.
- Deliver the third year of our UWin Proud program that aims to increase student, faculty and staff pride in UWindsor while most of the campus remains virtual. Signature events: UWin Day (October 7), Windsor Wednesday, the Windsor Wednesday Show, and virtual and perhaps in person Epic Bingos.
- Facilitate a celebration of Pride Week and support the raising of the Pride Flag on campus
- Complete work to put down two rainbow crosswalks on campus. One in front of the Welcome Centre on Wyandotte and one in front of the CAW Student Centre.
- Implement the recently purchase student relationship management system in Student Accessibility Services to better facilitate exams and day to day student meetings
- Ensure more students, staff and faculty and signing up for the UWinAlert system so they can get immediate access to information in the event of an on-campus emergency.