On rare occasions when it is urgent to communicate in a timely fashion with the University community, a University-wide communication may be considered. You must comply with the below.
- A University-wide communication must only be used for University business and will be sent only with the appropriate departmental head approval.
- A University-wide communication will be sent during non-peak hours (outside of normal University business hours) unless of a time-sensitive or critical nature.
- The content of University-wide communications must be brief. The size of the message must be kept to a minimum and should not contain graphics or other size enhancing attributes. You may want to provide a web page link within your message to provide more information while at the same time, minimizing the size of your message.
Sending a Mass Email
Many units and student organizations wish to communicate with specific groups through email. At the same time, email saturation is a growing concern of recipients. As such, it is important that messages sent from the University are read. It is also important that the University implement processes that reduce the possibility of overwhelming recipients with various messages from numerous groups. As a result, only emails which pertain to official university business will be sent through this system, with the only non-university exceptions being operationally focussed communications (e.g., elections, insurance) from the UWSA, GSS and OPUS.
Once you submit your request, the moderator will consult with the email author to determine whether a mass email is the appropriate communication channel for the message and may suggest one of the following alternatives:
- An announcement provided to the DailyNews
- An event post on the University of Windsor Calendar of Events
- Article submission to the Office of Student Experience Student Newsletter
The moderator will also ensure that multiple messages are not sent on the same day unless absolutely necessary, so as not to create an overload on system infrastructure or for email recipients.