Priorities for 2021
- Facilitate the University of Windsor’s upcoming external review of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- In conjunction with the Executive Leadership Team, lead a consultative process to develop the University of Windsor’s first EDI Strategic Plan.
- Guide the:
- Implementation of ABR Task Force recommendations in conjunction with relevant university and community stakeholders.
- Process to address the broader issues of racism on university campuses that compelled the OHRC to write to university presidents in Dec/20. This includes anti-Indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism and all forms of racism and racial discrimination.
- Work with the racialized data collection Rapid Action Unit and Implementation Committee to operationalize the University of Windsor’s Student Self-Identification Survey.
- Substantial progress has already been made to launch Phase One.
- Advises on the development of a Senate Bylaw for the permanent VP, EDI position in the future and work with the President and the ELT and the Indigenous community to fashion a senior level Indigenous portfolio. To achieve the goals of a more just campus we need traditionally marginalized voices at the table.
- Establish an EDI Strategic Advisory Committee, a cross-sectional and intersectional university-wide body that will work to develop a shared vision of and strategic plan for EDI.
- Establish the Anti-racist Coalition, a ‘rainbow coalition’ of racialized peoples and allies that provides guidance around issues of racism and racial discrimination. Would take the place of the current ABR Roundtable.
- Publish a electronic EDI newsletter designed to educate and inform the university and broader community. Expect Volume 1 December 2021.
Vice-President, EDI: Key Areas of Focus
• Policy and procedures
• Structural change
• EDI Leadership and Community Engagement
• Healing and reconciliation
Vice-President, EDI: Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides guidance, advocacy, insight, and leadership as we work toward a permanent, Senate-governed leadership role at the V-P level.
- Provides systematic, intentional, and coherent infrastructure to support the ongoing work of fostering and ensuring increasingly welcoming, equitable, inclusive, just, and safe campus communities.
- Leads and supports efforts to address racism and discrimination on campus.
- Provides guidance at the leadership table to ensure that equity, diversity and inclusion priorities thoughtfully inform decision making.
- Facilitates the University of Windsor’s upcoming external EDI review.
- Leads a process to establish the Senate Bylaw for the permanent VP, EDI position in the future.
- Works especially closely with the Interim Provost and team on many initiatives related to the student experience, student misconduct, conflict resolution, faculty matters, research support, and curriculum development.
- Provides key leadership in strategic planning.
- Oversees activities of the Office of Human Rights, Equity, and Accessibility.
- Oversees process for response to and implementation of the recommendations of the ABR Task Force.
- Undertakes community engagement activities.